WRITING CHALLENGE: the 6-word story

Monday, August 31, 2015

We haven't had a good writing challenge around here in quite a while. Most of you are probably familiar with Hemmingway's 6-word story, but for those of you who aren't, he was challenged by a fellow writer to tell as good a story in 6 words as he did in a full-length novel. Hemmingway was a known minimalist, but the idea of telling a truly compelling story with 6 words is a bit daunting, no? He wrote this chilling sentence:

For sale: baby shoes. Never worn.
It's such a good and healthy challenge for writers and creatives alike to force yourself to use fewer and more potent words. I have a tendency to be wordy. I throw in extra things because it sounds nice, but those words aren't always necessary. You can tell a good story without it being an Epic; in fact, I'm willing to say your talent is the greater if you can hone it in so well.

Even in blogging, it's a good challenge to break up the lengthy posts with something short: something that says what you mean in as few words as possible.

So what am I asking? Write a 6-word story, either in the comments, on Twitter (tag me @carmelelizabeth so I can see!) or even share a post on your blog and let's talk about it! Here's my submission:

to(o) many
she is just
one

6 comments

  1. Oh wow! I'm getting chills reading this. I love the double meaning here. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost went without the extra "o", but I know it's very little on it's own - it needs the oomph.

      Delete
  2. *chills* This is so creative + thought-provoking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you felt that, Kianna. It's a very exciting response for me, as the writer. :)

      Delete
  3. I've read your blog for a while now...not sure if I've commented before or not. Anyway, I've always been intrigued by the idea of a six word story, and I thoroughly enjoyed the double meaning impact of yours. I think I might have to give it a shot, now. Thanks for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello & pleasure to meet you, Janie!
      I love the concept of the 6-word story (as you can see). I would love to see what you come up with. :)

      Delete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.