How To Suceed In Life (with trying)

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

via pinterest
In this process of growing up that is Senior Year, (how small this must be in future years, when I look back!) though it's barely begun, I've already had a good handful of conversations on success, and what it means and what it looks like. It's always interesting having these conversations, because I think not only does everyone has a different idea of success, but different methods of getting there and different ideas about whether and whither they want to succeed. It's not something you define easily, but there it is.

There are a couple things you need to know about success:

1. Everyone has a different idea of what it actually is.
2. You define whether you are successful or not - not someone else.
3. You can't cheat at succeess.

As much as I wish this was false, there is no way to succeed in life without trying, because ultimately, true success is working hard and doing what you love. And that takes work, discipline and bravery.
We've got to be more daring. This safe-place of wanting to know the security of something before we give it a try makes it so that we never have uncertainty. Even as Christians, we are so good at protecting ourselves that we've forgotten a little bit of what faith means. Faith means going out on a limb entirely uncertain of whether it will support you or not. True daring - true bravery is "when you know you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what."

That's hard work. That's succeeding.

Succesful people work hard, a heckuva lot harder than average people. If you want it, go after it with everything you've got.

6 comments

  1. 100% agree. Some people think you're born with success. But while people may be born with certain advantages, hard work will get you everywhere. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Work hard." It's basically my motto. <3

      Delete
  2. That quote (in the picture)! I stumbled across it in a café a while ago, and it stuck with me so much I wrote a blog post bouncing off of that. Random side note right there...

    Great post, Carmel--we need to step out, work hard, and trust God to add the super to our natural. :) Point #2 really stuck out to me. We decide whether or not we're successful. *I* decide. And so much of it is what we envision in our hearts, because that's we wind up moving towards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trusting God is absolutely vital - I'm glad you pointed that out. And what we focus on is what we become, like you said, so it's important we're spending our time wisely.

      Thanks for adding your thoughts to the discussion! I appreciate it.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this post! Very motivational.

    Also, I like how you say you define your success not other people. That is so true. What I see as successful for myself is so different than what other people think for me. It's weird to think that other people have an idea of success for ME? Why are they defining my success? It's my success; I know what it'll look like, not them. But I see people doing it all the time, even people I'm merely acquainted with. And what I see looks so different, at times even different than what my parents imagine for me. It's taken a while for me to accept that it's okay if my ideas look different than theirs. I'm still working on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's too true that we need to remember that someone else's goals don't have to be ours - I struggle a little with hesitancy to go out and start my own life and my own business when so many others my age are going to college. But greatness doesn't happen on its own, and it certainly doesn't happen when we're following the crowd. You've got to think beyond the norm. :)

      Delete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.