The Anatomy of a Care Package

Monday, September 07, 2015

With recent family events (a sister going to college and another getting her appendix out, just to name a few...) there has been a decent demand for care packages - or rather, the sort of atmosphere that warrants one. :) I've done a bit of care-packaging in the past, and the process is a fun one, but potentially difficult as well.

So whether this is for a dear friend in a tight point in life, a family member that's all by her lonesome at college (I exaggerate) or a relative with an injury, here's everything you need to know about making the best sort of care package, and one anyone would be happy to receive.

Due to the majority female population on this blog, I'll be sticking with female tendencies. If you're making a care package for your best guy & would like to hear more on that topic, let me know!

1. THE ELEMENT OF FLUFF
It's a care package for goodness' sake! Put aside your adulthood for one second and include something fluffy - a teensy stuffed turtle, a mango-colored My Little Pony, a Pigmy Puff keychain - find something fun and fluffy that you know will bring a smile to your recipient's face.

2. EDIBLES
What's a care package without food of some sort? My favorite inclusions are chocolate (if your Person is into that sort of thing, which by the way who isn't, I ask you?), homemade cookies, snack bars, nuts or dried fruit. It's also a really good idea to include tea or coffee, hot chocolate of apple cider. In our care package for Chloe before she left for college, I included Twinings Irish Breakfast, which is her favorite.

3. THE FILLERS
These aren't space wasters, but they're the fun, smaller, less-expensive elements that just add fun and weight to the package. A bottle of nail polish is always a good route, as well as drugstore lipsticks, small earrings or lipbalm. Lotion. Small rings. Sticky notes and pretty tape. A packet of pens are never a mistake.

4. THE "AHA!" MOMENT
This is the exciting element, something you either know your recipient really wanted, or something a bit more special you know they'll really love. For Chloe, this was a M.A.C. lipstick she wanted but didn't have the budget for (college life, you guys. It's pinching pennies. XD) This is the element that makes the package worth it, but might have been a little less exciting on it's own. It's the center of the firecracker, made especially visible by the outlining sparks.

Please note that care packages are much more pleasant when packed in a box, stuffed with pretty tissue and personal notes. Also glitter is fun (try not to go overboard if you can resist).

(I can't.)

What makes a care package exciting for you? Do you have any tips you would add?

4 comments

  1. I loved the care package you all made for me so much. <3 I wore the M.A.C. lipstick already to swing dancing on Friday night, but I haven't had an opportunity to use my tea yet. Soon, soon... when the weather gets cooler. ^.^

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay yay yay! I should have sent you with that lipliner too but, ah, c'est la vie. XD

      Delete
  2. love this! My love language is gifts, so care packages are my favorite things.
    I like including little silly things, makeup products, and especially chocolate ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to get a care package, despite my having no reason to get one right now...XP
      Chocolate. Always chocolate.

      Delete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.