September Favourites

Friday, October 02, 2015

Another month past, and so quickly! I'm quite excited to share this month's favourites with you because September is always the month of dabbling into the dark lipsticks and makeup in general again and that's always a joy. I've got a few new favorites to share as well as old standy-bys I've fallen back in love with. Enjoy!

1. Rimmel 1000 Kisses Lip Liner in #011 Spice
This just recently came into my makeup collection and it has been love straight from the beginning. I've heard it's quite a good dupe for M.A.C.'s Spice lip liner, which though I can't verify as I haven't used the M.A.C. one, would be willing to bet on. The quality of Rimmel's lip liners is incredible - you know of my lasting favoritism for Eastend Snob, so though this particular line is in pencil form instead of a wind-up, I had high hopes (and was not let down). It's long-lasting, just creamy enough to wear without lipstick if I feel like it (which I do. A lot.), matte without being too overly drying. And of course it's dirt-cheap.

2. M.A.C. Ruby Woo Lipstick
Keeping with the lip theme, I've been loving this bold and fiery shade of red against almost any color palette. Matte, longlasting and highly pigmented, this checks all my most important boxes and is the sort of lipstick you could survive the kiss-test in, if you wanted to. Wear it with a bronze eye for more evening looks or in the daytime with something soft and brown. Or, of course, you can go classic with a cat eye...

3. Iced Pumpkin Spice Lattes
Of course I couldn't make this list without a PSL! I'm extraordinarily cliche because I love the heck out of these things. Being the sort of person who practically lives for those slices of cold pumpkin pie during Thanksgiving/Thanksgiving weekend, this is just the preempt. And since the weather hasn't decided to bring Fall temperatures to me yet, I take mine iced. It's flawless.

4. Coconut Oil
Ever since I started using coconut oil during the end of the summer I've only discovered more and more uses, but particularly this September. Stay tuned for a post on all the marvelous ways this product is a beauty hack I basically can't live without. ;)

5. Fringe Necklaces
I mentioned this in another post earlier this week, but I'm simply obsessed with this necklace ($5! Who would've thought Walmart could be so stylish?). I'm basically wearing it with everything.

6. Hamlet
For this month's literature favorite, I've fallen back in love with Hamlet. It does help that the David Tennant edition is just. so. soul-shattering. I'm the sort of person who falls in love with the characters that break your heart; this was no different. And Shakespeare's has an unparalleled ability to mould words into tangible reality.

What have you been loving this past month?

12 comments

  1. Apropos of Hamlet, a blogging friend of mine is hosting a read-along of the play this month that you might be interested in: http://theedgeoftheprecipice.blogspot.com/ I read it back in the summertime, but I might pull it out again and follow along if I have time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love that idea! Thanks for the suggestion - I'll check it out. :)

      Delete
  2. I've recently seen the David Tennant Hamlet - excellent but completely exhausting viewing! I tend to be more interested in who plays Claudius than who plays Hamlet - and Patrick Stewart is wonderful. I'm also excited to see if they film the Cumberbatch Hamlet - Claudius is played by Ciaran Hinds Who Is Amazing Amazing Amazing and I'm desperate to see him in stage. As you can imagine, tickets for that Hamlet were prohibitively expensive. Boo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're definitely right - I got up from the movie feeling extremely drained - but there's something to be said for literature that can drain you emotionally in such an artful way. Too few have accomplished that, while many plays and novels are either too gentle (get me emotionally involved with the characters please!) or too draining with no art to it (you killed every character. what.).

      Cumberbatch as Hamlet! I would love to see that.

      Delete
    2. Oh definitely - at university we did a Tragedy module which focussed a lot on Aristotle's treatise on the subject. I love how Hamlet, Lear and Othello are definitely 'purging you of emotion' plays.

      Fingers crossed for a DVD release!

      Delete
  3. I love the fall cause everything is PUMPKIN.
    I haven't gotten a PSL yet, but I've had a pumpkin blizzard, baby pumpkin/squash pies, and pumpkin donuts <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pumpkin donuts! Oh my stars. But I have to say, pumpkin pie just takes the cake. <3

      Delete
  4. Yes to Pumpkin Spice Lattes! So ready for fall! No doubt they'll be in my October favorites next month.
    I just did a post on September favorites too :)

    Jasmine | The Sixth Disney Princess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurrah for another PSL fan!
      Ooh. I love Favorites. I'll definitely be checking out that post! :)

      Delete
  5. Those lattes sound amazing!

    I read Frankenstein for college and was really good! A new classic favorite. I also finished The Raven Boys, and wow! The author is a master with words.

    I've read a lot of Shakespeare's sonnets (so beautiful!), but only one of his plays. I'll have to read Hamlet. It sounds good! Although, anything Shakespeare sounds stupendous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked Frankenstein - I'm glad someone likes it, because it made me very sad in a sickly way, and not the good sort. But that could just be me (and I did read it very hurriedly, so that probably didn't improve anything).

      Shakespeare...oh I need to read more of his sonnets. They are my favorites. <3

      Delete
  6. I'm right there with you on Hamlet. Easily one of my most favorite books of all time. I'm actually rereading it this fall as part of the read-along that Elisabeth Grace mentioned and I'm finding all kinds of things in it that I never noticed before. Very interesting.

    If you like Shakespeare's sonnets, I'd recommend the poems of John Donne. His Holy Sonnet series is wonderful and his love poems especially are outstanding ("The Canonization" and "The Sun Rising" are my favorites). :)

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.