#TheCleanoutSesh: HOW TO CLEAN OUT YOUR WARDROBE

Wednesday, October 21, 2015


I've got a fun little series for you this week, friends, about cleaning out and overhauling your wardrobe! If you feel like joining in the fun and doing some reorganizing, don't forget to use the hashtag #TheCleanoutSesh on Instagram and Twitter so I can find your posts. You can read the first post in the series here, and stay tuned for the conclusion on Friday! Cheers!

I feel like I could host a conference on this topic for how often I've edited my wardrobe and given others advice and opinion on the process. What can I say? It's one of those hobbies I find myself particularly passionate about...^.^

So. You've got a good idea of what you want your wardrobe to look like, but how do you go about getting it to that state? Your closet is overflowing and you feel like you hardly wear any of it, but where do you begin the editing process? You're tired of the old stuff and ready to get back to the basics, but the process is a bit daunting.


-START WITH YOUR CLOTHES
There have been a couple main points in my recent life where I have felt specifically drowing in stuff - like more than the temporary frenzy of needing to put stuff away, I just felt the ick of holding on to too many things and needing to be more...lightweight. It's very tempting at this point to go wild and strip out everything, but remember that your habits and personality do not change overnight, and what may feel good in one frenzied afternoon may leave you feeling a bit bare and sentimental a few nights down the road. Therefore, start with the clothes: the least sentimental things, the things you'll probably donate to good places and can always replenish. And for heaven's sake, sleep on it before getting rid of everything.

-LIMIT THE SENTIMENTAL PIECES
There are a few sentimental pieces that you should keep in your wardrobe, whether its a concert t-shirt, a cosy sweater or an old watch. Just be specific about what you keep and don't keep, and remember that if you can't take it with you when you die, there's no point trying to hold on to it forever. (But an antique relic is another story. ;) For me personally, I only like to keep the sentimental bits that have a good story with them - otherwise, they hit the goodwill donation center.

-PULL EVERYTHING OUT
You're going to want to know what your entire wardrobe (or should I say #floordrobe at this point?) looks like to get a general feel for how much you have and how much you want to get rid of. If you're the sort of person who can live off 30 pieces (shoes included), we applaud you from the behind our clothes-mountains. For the rest of us, make sure everything that stays in your wardrobe has a purpose and will be put to use. In the words of someone else's genius, "make your clothes work for their space in your wardrobe."

-SELL/DONATE/TRASH
You know the drill here; however, I want to focus particularly on the "sell" category. I think a lot of people think clearing out their wardrobe means getting rid of items they spent money on, only to spend more money on new ones. If you have quality pieces you can sell either online or at vintage/consignment stores, and you get paid money for getting rid of what you don't use, you're a lot more likely to clean more vigorously. And you'll have a bit more pinch change for the restock. XD

-BABY STEPS
When you've cleared out your closet, you can move on to the handbags, the shoes, the ratty old socks that really just need to be trashed at first sight. Apply the same principles you did to your wardrobe. Bit by bit, you'll feel your space becoming more of what you love and less of what was bogging you down. I promise, it's liberating.

Stay tuned for the last post in the series on Friday (where we get a bit spendy...)!

4 comments

  1. My biggest problem when it comes to cleaning out my closet is I always justify keeping pieces that I don't need. I have to be really careful not to the use phrase, "I haven't worn it in years, but I might wear it again SOMEDAY" too many times, because then I never get rid of anything, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Justification is one of the hardest parts, for sure. I try to ask myself if I was shopping, would I buy it again? Usually that helps keep the hoarding at bay (but it's still a struggle XP).

      Delete
  2. I always have a hard time ''cleaning out my closet'', so that's why I never do it.
    But I think it's important to recycle your clothing or to give it away for people who have less in this world.

    Sugarcandycandy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I love that you've brought up the importance of charity - what I'm not using shouldn't collect dust sitting in my closet unused when someone else could use it, and enjoy it a lot more than I.

      Delete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.