What's In My Makeup Bag

Monday, October 12, 2015

via tumblr

Sarah asked me recently if I had a better solution than the typical in-purse makeup bag for carrying around your essentials with you when you're out of the house. To be honest, I've never carried much of a makeup bag with me (because I'm a mess and simply throw the things I need in my bag and put them away when I get back home) but for those of you who do carry around a pouch, I thought I'd give you the run down on what I would have in mine.

There are a couple of options for storage, but I've found that since I change my purse quite regularly, it's most practical for me to keep whatever I'm using small and nondescript. If I haven't just tossed the following 4 essentials in the main body of my bag, they're in a baby zip-pouch. I think this one came from a Clinique gift set a few years ago.

Whether it's a mesh drawstring, a canvas pouch, a complete in-purse organizational tool, or simply loose in your handbag, here are the essentials I can't live without.

1. Lipstick du Jour
Whatever lipstick I've got on that day (and if I'm not wearing a lipstick, a neutral lipliner or peachy-pink gloss of some sort, because I am a lip-product hoarder XD). You never know when you need a touchup, or even a fresh pop of color if your outfit's looking sub-par. Lipstick always works.

2. Powder It UP
As a self-professed oily skin girl, I know I can't go anywhere without my powder, unless it's just out to the drugstore for a ten minute errand (because we're not that crazy). My favorite pressed powder is from Rimmel, their Stay Matte in the shade #001 Transparent. This product has minimal coverage, so you can layer it on a couple times a day if necessary without getting that chalky/cakey look. It's really good at mattifying the skin and lasts about 4 hours before needing a re-powder, which is very decent for a drugstore product.

3. Mini Mascaras
I keep these in my handbag on a regular basis, because though I usually won't put on another coat of mascara midway through the day, if I'm grabbing my bag and heading out the house with little time to do anything, if I have my makeup basics in my handbag it's one less thing to thing about. And since I don't normally use travel size mascaras for any other purpose, this is a good way to use up those samples. I'm currently loving Benefit's They're Real.

4. Eye Bags Begone
I have the test tube size of the Benefit Erase Paste that I've been keeping handy for over a month now and it's still going strong. It doesn't look like much, but this heavy-duty paste concealer will cover just about anything you can think of, and a little goes a very long way. The shade range is a little sad, but since I'm quite fair, the lightest shade works with my complexion. I'm hoping to pick up a full size pot for my birthday (treat yo self!) next week. :)

And that's it! Simply the necessities. You all know I'm a firm believer of keeping down the clutter, and when it comes to what I want to carry with me all day every day, I like to keep the routine whittled.

What are your handbag makeup essentials? Do you prefer to use travel size bits, and do you carry a full face of makeup with you in your purse on the daily?

5 comments

  1. love the video ;)
    I usually just toss whatever lipstick I'm wearing into my purse and go. However, I always keep chapstick and breath spray in my purse...do those count as makeup essentials? ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks! ;)
      I do a simple lipstick-only rule when I'm using my small crossbody bag - I just don't have room for anything more - but I guess on longer occasions I like to be over-prepared? ;)

      Breath spray. That's a very good necessity I do not have. Shopping list it is!

      Delete
    2. fyi, breath spray can also be used as Mace.
      ;p

      Delete
  2. I've only kept lip products in my purse, along with lots of mints. I never understood the whole makeup bag in your purse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like my previous comment got eaten but THANK YOU for posting about this! Very helpful. ;))

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.