5 Books Every Elegant [Creative] Woman Should Read | The Elegance Files, No. 7

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

image via tumblr / graphic mine

Just a little series on being elegant, from tips my mother taught me and beyond. Click here to read more from the archives...

It's been a while since I've shared one of these posts, and today I want to talk about the topic of education. We've heard it said, "an elegant woman is a well-read woman," - which is true, and something I would love to emulate - but what are the sort of books that make you well-read? Or better, how do I know when I've become "well-read"?

I've broken it down into a list, because that's what we do around here. XD

5 BOOKS EVERY ELEGANT [CREATIVE] WOMAN SHOULD READ

1. The Elements of Style, by Strunk and White
This book has absolutely nothing to do with fashion style, but as we've discussed before, style extends far beyond that. This book breaks down in comedic and simple terms the rules of grammar, writing, and style. Whether you are a writer or not, this book is a must-have. Even if you only ever write emails, this slight read will check you before you confuse "its" and "it's" again. 

2. Steal Like An Artist by Austin Kleon
If you'v been around this blog for any period of time you've probably figured out that I love this book. There's just no form of creativity that it's not good for, and I've never met a person who wasn't creative. 

3. Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life
Again, this book is specifically geared towards writers, but I found more life advice in this than actual writing advice - or perhaps it's that things like "You are going to hate your first draft" can be easily universally applied to any creative endeavor. Anne Lamott is hilarious, but I don't want to beat a dead horse here. Just go read it.

4. Biographies
This sounds incredibly dull, but I'm actually quite a fan of personal biographies. I think it has something to do with studying the lives of others - some writerly sensibility, I should call it, but I'm probably just nosy. XD Either way, if you want to succeed in life, the best way to do it is to study those who did it before you. Some of my favorite biographies include this on one Audrey Hepburn, and of course, the standard Steve Jobs. Side note: I've not actually finished either of these. That's another fabulous thing about biographies - you can pick them up, read what interests you, and move along. (But I still plan on finishing both.) (#booknerdmoment.)

5. Coco Chanel by Justine Picardie
Another biography I'm in the middle of...whoops! The viewpoint of this iconic biography is quite secular, which seems to be the case for all Chanel biographies, but the images and stories surrounding this woman are too fascinating to pass up. If you like fashion in any way, give this book a try. If you like art, or mystery, or anything from the 50's, give this book a try. Chanel was a legend, and the mystery of her life is fascinating.

What books have inspired you? 

4 comments

  1. I would add A Guide to Elegance by Genevieve Antoine Dariaux. The text was written quite some time ago but her tips are timeless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if that title isn't just perfect I don't know what is! ^_^

      Delete
  2. I love a good book! All of these sound so lovely too! I really want to read the Audrey Hepburn book! As for me, I received a historical timeline of fashion (Fashion: The Definitive History of Costume and Style), and I love it! I also recommend Simply Tuesday, and I plan on finishing that one soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm now regretting I didn't include "Fashion"! It's such a beautiful book. I'll definitely be checking Simply Tuesday out!

      Delete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.