Books I Read In 2015

Monday, December 28, 2015

via tumblr
I'm not sure who started this trend last year, of sharing the books we'd read over the 12 months - regardless, I enjoyed it and wanted to repeat the tradition. There really is nothing so pleasing as looking back on what you've read; also, not better way to share the best and worst reads you've encountered!

I didn't read as much as I would have liked to, but there you have it. Sometimes we're busy. That's the way it goes.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Absolutely loved this one. Perfect way to start off a year of literature: with epic, brooding Bronte.
My Antonia by Willa Cather
Another very good read, this one. Similar feel to Bronte, actually, which could have something to do with why I liked it. ;)
Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
This wouldn't normally be my cup of tea, but it's good to stretch your literary horizons. I enjoyed this.
The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner
Definitely a challenging read. That can't be ignored. What also can't be ignored is the absolute literary genius presented in this classic work.
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
Meh. Steinbeck isn't generally my favorite. It wasn't a bad book, though.
FOUR by Veronica Roth
I actually liked this better than the original Divergent series - I wasn't a huge fan of those, but perhaps it was the male perspective of this that made it feel a lot more sensible to me, and therefore much more enjoyable.
The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams
I didn't enjoy this one much, but it was interesting to get a bit of screenplay reading in; it's not something I do often.
The Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller
Another not-so-amazing piece: this year I discovered American literature is largely depressing. But there is good to be found in every piece: I liked the concluding scene of this play a lot.
Our Town by Thornton Wilder
This one is cute.
Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
This one is important.
The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
LOVE. New favorite book series.
Paper Towns by John Green
Better than The Fault In Our Stars by leaps and bounds; more profane by the same amount.
David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
Another thoroughly good Dickens experience. He's growing on me.
Beowulf
It's the predecessor to all our great fairytales. You just can't not read this one.
Hamlet by William Shakespeare
Definitely my favorite Shakespeare play I've read. Also, seeing David Tennant perform those eternal lines, "to be or not to be" just immortalizes this in your memory.
Emma by Jane Austen
This book has such a special place in my heart, despite it being one of Austen's lesser appreciated works. I loved it.
Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
I dislike putting success down to simple mathematics the way Gladwell does in this piece. It was enjoyable, but a bit too world-focused for my interests.
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
It seems this year was book-ended by the Brontes! I loved Wuthering Heights a lot more than I planned to. I also loved Heathcliff a lot more than I intended. Oops.

BONUS: Mere Christianity, which I intend to finish after writing this post. XD

What did you read this year, friends? Any brilliant literature I ought to mark on my list for the coming year? (You know I want to hear it!) 

7 comments

  1. I re-read Jane Eyre this year after not having read it since I was much younger, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Many more little subtleties to pick up on, and more things I understood better this time around. I read Hamlet this year too, and while I don't think I pegged it as a favorite straight off the bat, it's something that's hung in my mind and grown on me ever since, and I highlighted lots of beautiful and thought-provoking passages when reading.

    I haven't done my "roundup" post on this year's reading yet, but I did do my top-ten list a couple weeks ago: http://thesecondsentence.blogspot.com/2015/12/top-ten-tuesday-ten-best-books-read-in.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't Jane Eyre stunning? I thoroughly enjoyed it. Lots of elemental hints, and those are always a favorite of mine...

      I'll have to check out that link! I need some books to add to my to-read list, and I know you're a reliable source. :)

      Delete
  2. Impressive reads! I admire those who make a habit of reading classic literature. (I think the only thing I read in that category this year was Pride and Prejudice.)
    Four... I've been wanting to read that one! And I must confess that I didn't get much out of Our Town. :P It's been some time since I read Outliers, so the main thing I recall is the fact I liked it. If I remembered more, I could give your viewpoint on it better consideration.
    Anyway, lovely list! I'm planning a similar post to go up soon. :) Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a sucker for classics, you might say, but that isn't to say there isn't some good contemporary literature to be found. ;) I would be interested to hear your thoughts on Outliers! I read it in a hurry, so that probably didn't help my opinion of it.

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
    2. My appreciation for classics is slowly growing. ;)
      I wish I remembered enough to share my thoughts on Outliers! It had a section about how all the pros had logged 20,000+ hours in their respective fields, right? I recall that being interesting, if not a little dismaying when compared to my estimated writing hours! XD Aside from all that, I enjoy Gladwell's writing style. He keeps things fascinating that otherwise might be boring. :)

      Delete
  3. I read something like 74 books this year.... wow.
    Your picks sound good! I read Divergent but didn't enjoy it at all.
    Emma is my favorite Austen novel, and it makes me sad when people haven't read it. She's such a great character. Have you seen the internet series Emma Approved? A little silly, but still fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 74 is quite the achievement! 👏🏻
      Um yes yes & yes LOVE Emma Approved. So great. ;D

      Delete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.