How To Make The Best [Rich] Hot Chocolate

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

via tumblr

How. Is it almost. Christmas.

Literally, I cannot believe it.

Nonetheless, here we are, and if you're anything like me this year you're behind on your present-shopping, and wrapping, and will probably be spending the next few hours in that direction. This is the perfect excuse to get that Christmas music cranking, or maybe watch a few Vlogmas videos, and sip on a hot chocolate. Which is why you're here today.

There are many different ways to do this. I'm not saying this one is the best, I'm just saying I've yet to have one better...

1. In double-boiler, or a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of hot water, melt down several large chunks of semi-sweet or dark chocolate on low heat. (Your mug is your best measuring cup in this instance. I like enough to fill it at least 1/3 of the way.)

2. When the chocolate is melted and smooth, add half a mug of cream (half-and-half or heavy whipping, depending on how fabulous you want this hot chocolate). Stir until smooth.

3. Layer your mug bottom with any or all of the following: candy cane pieces, more chocolate, small marshmallows, or (because why not) a dash of coffee. (I'm taking mine with peppermint pieces.) Pour the chocolate over accordingly, giving at dollop of your best whipped cream at the end. Homemade whipped cream is dreamy and so simple, so if you have a minute, I'd recommend that above any store-bought kinds. (1/2 cup whipping cream + 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, whipped until fluffy.)

4. I love a bit of orange in chocolate, but if you don't, you can consider this a bonus step. Cut a few strips of orange peel, twist, and lay on top of your drink. Voila. Le perfection chocolat.

How do you take your hot chocolate?
If you try this recipe, let me know by posting it on Twitter or Instagram with the hashtag "#carmelbakes"!

2 comments

  1. Ohhh sounds fancy! Will definitely have to try this out one day.

    Jasmine | The Sixth Disney Princess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's divine - let me know if you do! I hope you enjoy it. :)

      Delete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.