FITNESS GOALS: 2016

Wednesday, January 06, 2016

via tumblr

I mentioned very briefly in my New Years Day post that I had a few fitness goals for the year, and I decided to share them with you more in depth, both for the purpose of accountability as the year goes on (goodness knows I need it), and also as a sort of motivation for you all to share your own. To speak (or write) something is to give it power; so here's me attempting to give my fitness goals power. ;)

A. DRINK MORE WATER
I just got up from writing this post to grab another glass...
I started this thing last year, where I would draw 8 little "water bubbles" on my to-do list, and color them in with each glass of water I drank. Somewhere along the line I stopped doing it (read: I went without a planner for a while. That was mayhem...) but I'd like to start up again.

B. RUN A HALF MARATHON
I know what you're thinking, and honestly I'm thinking it too: me? run a marathon? you've got to be joking...But I've wanted to get better at long-distance running for a long time, and I figure this is the best way to motivate myself to do it. I haven't figured out when exactly there is a marathon happening in my city though, so stay tuned for that! Until then:

C. RUN REGULARLY
I rarely do runs much longer than a 1.5-mile warmup before other exercising, but this challenge is about frequency. I would like to start by running 4.5 miles a week, spread over 3 days; the alternate route is 4 1-mile runs, if I feel like shaking it up.

D. SUGAR CLEANSE
Last year for Lent, I went entirely off sugar, not just sweets but anything that had sugar as an ingredient. While I'm not ready to go that extreme for the entire year (though I probably will for Lent again) I'm basically cutting back to the basics, with no sweets/sugary drinks/chips/etc (which to be honest, I don't have a lot of regularly anyway. It's chocolate that's the real kicker XD). I'm allowing myself one cheat item per week.

That's pretty much it! Simple, but I'd like to think it's effective. What are your goals (fitness or otherwise) for this new year? Are you the sort of person to make written resolutions, or do you prefer just keeping a few main things in mind?

6 comments

  1. I think simple is best! One of my goals is to run a half marathon as well :) Right now I'm working on building up my mileage!

    sugar is like so hard for me. I'm better than I used to be, but golly do I have a sweet tooth! If I try and cut every bit of sugar out I go crazy, so when I want something sweet my go to is dates. They are perfection.

    Thanks for sharing, and good luck!

    -Jana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right there with you when it comes to sweets: I have such a weakness for chocolate! But dates are a fantastic fix. Definitely one of my favorites. :)

      Best of luck to you too!

      Delete
  2. I love reading these kinds of posts! They give me a bit of motivation and boosted resolve to get it done this year!

    And sugar for me is hard... I love chocolate and it seems that we always have some kind of it around the house! #IAmStronger though, so whatevs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to confess, I also love reading other people's goals! Nothing like seeing someone else do something for inspiration, right? :)

      You are stronger than the temptation. You can do the thing. XD
      All the best! Xx

      Delete
  3. Ughhh I always say that I'm going to try to be healthier, but like everyone that usually goes down the drain pretty quickly. xD I'm working on drinking more water this year, though, and I've started doing yoga, which is going well so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yoga is the BEST. Good luck to you in your endeavors! :)

      Delete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.