February Favorites, 2016

Monday, February 29, 2016


"MARCH 1ST?! But yesterday was only February 29th!"

Hello again, friends - and welcome to the last day of February! Aside from the feeling that time is slipping by ridiculously fast, I'm very pleased that we've reached the month of March. February, aside from Valentine's Day (or Galentine's, as it were) has never been a favorite month of mine: you're worn out of being so terribly productive like you were in January (oops) and if you're anything like me, you're also quite bored of winter. That being said, March is the beginning of my favorite time of the year: longer, lighter days; preparing for event season; warmer weather; the smell of spring in the air; the promise of all new things; Easter (early this year, innit?); sunshine. Let's go into it running. :)

WHAT I LOVED IN FEBRUARY
Despite not being the biggest fan of February, that doesn't mean there weren't things to love.

1. EARLY MORNINGS
This is, granted, an odd one, but bear with me. In the month of February, my morning work shift went from being a New Thing to the norm. Early mornings didn't seem so early, and it's now gotten to the point where my body clock and alarm clock have synched: I will wake up within 2 minutes on either end of the alarm (after my alarm if it hasn't gone off; before my alarm in anticipation of it) on the daily. And I love the feeling of accomplishing 5 hours on the clock before 11 AM, eating my banana and drinking black coffee in the quiet times of those early hours at work, and the soft, friendly "good mornings" exchanged when everyone is that little bit more subtle. Call me crazy, but I love the early shift.

2. SIGNATURE SOY COCONUT CAKE SOY CANDLE
I'd never used a soy candle up until very recently, but if this brand represents all soy candles, I'm sold! The smell is amazing without being overpowering (also coconut cake in general is a divine scent for a candle) and despite having burned it regularly over the past month, less than 1/3 is gone. The price is regularly good value for money, but considering I purchased this half-price around Christmas time was such a bargain. Love.

3. BENEFIT THEY'RE REAL MASCARA
I've been using a tester of this mascara for months (sparingly, because it's that good) and finally sucked it up and bought the real thing. I have a post coming up next week with a full review, but for now just know it's potentially my favorite mascara of all time...;)

4. ELLIE GOULDING M.A.C. COLLECTION
The minute I heard about this I was in. Ellie Goulding? Yep, loved her music for years. M.A.C. lipsticks? My favorite. What's not to love? The fact that the shade "Only You" is out of stock pretty much everywhere, that's what. -_- Nonetheless, I still thoroughly enjoy using "Without Your Love", and cross my fingers every time I pop into a M.A.C. store, hoping "Only You" will be there. XD
It's perhaps more of a collectors item than anything (considering I probably don't need another sheer nude lipstick, and "Without Your Love" is a bit paler than I would usually go). However, the packaging is gorgeous (rose gold. le sigh.) and it's still a very high quality lipstick. M.A.C. never disappoints.

5. THE LORD OF THE RINGS
I read The Fellowship 2 years ago, for the first time, and though I loved it, it took a good 6 months to complete (between school assignments, etc.) and so I didn't fully appreciate the feeling of getting swept up in a novel like I did the second time, this February. I finished with the overwhelming feeling of "This book is glorious. I want another. Oh wait, there are two more..." And so I'm currently reading the Two Towers. And totally nerding over Aragorn.


6. MORROCAN MINT TEAVANA LOOSE LEAF TEA
I love Teavana loose leaf teas, and have ever since my dad got us all into them a few years ago. This year, he gave Chloe and I these gorgeous matching canisters of our own loose-leaf (so we don't have to mooch off his stash!) for Christmas. I often find that during the Christmas season I don't actually get to use smaller things because there are so many chocolates/desserts/candies/dinners happening. But the great thing is that by February, I still have some unused bits and bobs - like this tea - that I get to enjoy for the first time and fully appreciate. So I've been loving this. :)

7. THAT RED-LEATHER WALLET
This wallet (pictured above) is actually something my dad picked out to bring back to my mum when we were in Japan several years ago. Mum used it for a bit, but since she's brilliant with coupons, the foldover shape would bulge with all the paper and wasn't very practical. For a long time it sat in her closet until around Christmas, I believe it was, when I was looking for wrapping paper. I found it, asked to borrow it, and have been using it ever since. It's such a great timeless piece, the leather smell making the experience of using it that much more wonderful. I never thought of myself as much of a red person, except perhaps in lipstick, but I really love the distressed, rustic tone of this wallet, and I find it doesn't make a difference to me that it doesn't particularly "match" some of my other pieces. I love it.

I couldn't find anything like this wallet online, the closest one (linked) being from Burberry, meaning it's very expensive - but also very close to the original (which I have no idea whether it was expensive or not - I seem to remember it being quite affordable for leatherwear, though). It's an investment piece for sure, but the quality of leather wallets like these will last for years on years, which is something to consider.


That was a lot of chatter, so if you're still reading: you're fantastic!
What have you been loving this month? Let me know!

10 comments

  1. Ooooh I wanna try that tea. and the mascara. >_> ...maybe a trip to Ulta & Teavanna is soon in my future. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGSH I LET ME COMMENT. I MUST ADD I LOVE YOUR NEW BLOG DESIGN. <3 <3 <3
    would you terribly mind letting me know the name of the font for "Carmel" in your header. It's LOVELY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMGOSHYAY I'm so glad you like it! Bethany did a wonderful job. The font is just Times New Roman, I'm pretty sure, with a few modifications. :)

      Delete
    2. omgsh really?!?! Well it's never looked better! <3

      Delete
  3. the lipstick looks divine! I love sheer pink/nude colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it pretty? I mean the packaging alone...<3

      Delete
  4. Early mornings :) You lucky duck!

    I love that red wallet! Mmmm . . . this past month I've been loving my STORY. Writing it is soooo much fun and so very satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite blessed,I think. ^.^
      Months where writing comes quickly are the BEST.

      Delete
  5. That red leather wallet is just so pretty. I love early mornings too - I like staying up late, but I prefer the feeling of longer days (I also love making breakfast...but I can eat breakfast food pretty much anytime of the day). Awesome post as always!


    Jasmine | The Sixth Disney Princess

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.