Granola Girl: A Homemade, Sugar-Free Granola Recipe

Monday, February 15, 2016


It's the Lenten season again, and like last year I've decided again to give up sugar for this period! (If you're interested in knowing more about why I celebrate Lent and what giving up sugar looks like, let me know and I'm happy to write a post explaining it) but for today, I wanted to begin a small series of sugar-free recipes that are helping me through this season and keeping me from being a grouchy chocolate-and-cereal-craving lady!

Today's recipe is granola. As you're probably now realizing, I'm a huge fan of cereal which - besides chocolate, because I mean chocolate - is probably my worst eating habit. I could it eat for every meal of the day (i.e. Blueberry Mini Wheats with fresh strawberries and a lot of milk. Can I get an amen?!).

But fasting from sugar cuts out every type of cereal known to man (if you know of any crunchy cereal that doesn't have sugar included, I would love to know!) and so I've had to come up with other ways to satisfy that crunch-craving. Enter homemade granola!

Recipe adapted from Gwyneth Paltrow's "It's All Good" cookbook.

ingredients.
-1 1/2 cups rolled or old fashioned oats
-1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
-1/3 cup of honey
-1/2 cup plain dates, chopped roughly
-1/3 cup chopped walnuts/almonds/pecans
-a pinch of sea salt

directions.
-preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
-whisk together olive oil and honey in a large bowl until it creates a slurry; add in oats and stir to evenly distribute the slurry. The mixture at this point should be a bit clumpy
-throw in your chopped fresh dates, and pour the mixture out onto a baking tray, sprinkling with a pinch of sea salt.
-bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
-let the granola cool in the tray for a good 10 minutes before transferring it back into a bowl and combining with the remaining ingredients.
-serve on top of yogurt, fruit or with milk in a bowl (because cereal. remember? XD)

Let me know if you try this recipe! Is anyone else out there as obsessed with cereal as I am?

8 comments

  1. cereal is my favorite thing. I could eat it for every meal. (unfortunately my mother has limited us to only having cereal for breakfast twice a week. why mum)
    I do really like granola as well, but it's not cereal x) I'll have to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you give it a go! Of course it's nothing like sugary, crunchy goodness (and the sweet milk. gahhh...) but it's much better for crunch factor than a plain bowl of oatmeal, and that's something. ;)

      Your mum is smart. Painfully so. XD

      Delete
  2. I love granola soooooooo much!!! I actually just had some for breakfast♥♥
    Going to have to try this recipe soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. This must be so so good! I can't wait to make it! Thanks for sharing :)

    Check out my blog if you want: www.theglamandglitter.com

    Tamara xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious! Thanks for sharing!
    http://fashion-soup.com

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.