Happiness Isn't A How-To

Monday, February 01, 2016

via tumblr
I see a lot of posts around the internet with all these catchy titles like "Ways To Stay Happy" and "Reasons You Shouldn't Be Sad," and while I appreciate the heart behind this, it always strikes me as odd.

You know?

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I think happiness is a decision, and if you're set against joy you're not going to find it, no matter how many cat videos you watch online, no matter how many new things you buy yourself, no matter how many naps you take. That's the way it is.

In a similar vein, I know I talk a lot about things on this blog: pretty things, expensive things, cheap things, fun things - but to avoid becoming materialistic (the struggle is real) I think it's important to talk about the immaterial: words, thoughts, emotions, decisions, prayers, conversations.

Because things, as wonderful as they are, won't make you happy. But rich relationships with people? Those definitely will.

So the point of this post is as follows: I want to open up a conversation about happiness, true happiness, founded in something intangible. Whether that is literature, friends, a clear blue sky, a moment to yourself - let me know. What makes you happy, truly happy?

For me, it's sunshine - whether a crisp, cold winter day, a warm, balmy spring one or a sweltering summer one, where there is sunshine there is joy. I also love music, the type that soars; hugs, the really tight kind; genuine smiles, when people get so happy you can see it pouring physically from their faces; the quiet moments in the early morning, before it's light, before you've moved much, when everything seems so simple and your priorities haven't come gyrating into view yet. Poetry, read aloud. Standing on top of some place very high.

Oh yeah: and hearing other people talk about what makes them happy. That's one of my favorite things in the world.
Tell me yours?
All the love. Xx

4 comments

  1. I agree with you, Carmel, I think some days you have to just tell yourself "I am going to be happy."
    Things that make me happy.....theatre, music, mountains, cats, family movie nights, car trips....the list goes on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thissss. As for things that make me happy:

    laughing with friends, the sound of fingers on keyboards, Doctor Who, standing on really high places, those times when the music is pulsing loud and you're hanging out with friends and everything is just right, rollercoasters, amazing books, sugary coffee...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely love that feeling, of being on top of really high places. Breathless happiness.

      Oh yeah. Doctor Who is always a good idea. ^.^

      Delete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.