My 6 Holy Grail Beauty Products

Wednesday, March 30, 2016


I chat quite a bit about makeup bits around here, but with a lot of brands and products flying around at you from every different direction, as is often the case in the blogging/Youtubing world, it's hard to get an idea where to start. I know a lot of you are fans of the minimalist approach to makeup, and also just getting into the makeup scene, and the amount of products available is overwhelming even to the most experienced (read: not me). Should you splash out on all high-end products, should you start with all drugstore, should you mix, and if you do, where is it important to spend more money and where can you save by buying drugstore, while still not sacrificing quality?

In order to begin combating all this confusion (or at least to begin to), I've put together my Top 6 Holy Grail Products, otherwise known as my "Desert Island Beauty Needs" or, quite simply The Makeup Starter Kit. Basically, these are a fantastic place to start getting into makeup. Read on, Lizzy!

1. FOUNDATION: Rimmel Match Perfection SPF 30 Foundation in shade #130, True Ivory
This foundation does truly hit all the bases (pun only partially intended...). It gives a medium but buildable coverage, it's long-wearing, light-weight and hydrating. Not to mention it has SPF factor 30. Set with powder if you're after a more matte look; for me, I like a dewy finish and this is perfect as is.

2. CHEEKS: e.l.f. Blush/Highlighter All Over Stick in the shade "Persimmon"
This product is a one-swipe wonder. A faintly shimmery highlighter that mostly gives glow, a bit of warmth, and lasts all. the darn. day. Seriously amazing. Did I mention it's $1?

3. Tarte "Tartelette In Bloom" Eyeshadow Palette
This has all your neutral eyeshadow basics, a few shimmers, as well as a couple good grey-toned-browns that work well for filling in your eyebrows. What more could you want? This is definitely a product worth investing in.



4. CoverGirl The SuperSizer Waterproof Mascara
Limited edition StarWars packaging aside (ahhhh), this mascara has actually really grown on me since I first purchased it. The formulation, now a bit drier and better at amping up your eyelashes, provides a good, clean mascara look, completely clump-free, very lengthening and defining. Cheap as chips. (With mascara, I rarely see it necessary to branch into the world of high-end ones. Drugstore mascara is good.)

5. Rimmel Exaggerate Lip Liner in "Eastend Snob"
Cult classic. This is my favorite lipliner. Ever.

6. M.A.C. Cremesheen lipstick in "Patisserie"
Another cult classic. You know I love this lipstick, especially paired with the aforementioned lipliner. There really is nothing like this combination for that classic Parisian-pink lip: not too brown, not too pink, not too glossy and not so matte as to be drying. Long lasting. I wear this combo at least once every week (and I change up my lips a lot, so that's saying something. :)


What are your holy grail beauty products/things you can't live without? I want to know!

8 comments

  1. Mine would have to be my Blistex colored chap stick. The stuff is genius, and can be found in Walmart. It's basically gives you the illusion of wearing lipstick, but with the super relaxed, un-pressured comfort of chap stick :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the little things in life, isn't it? I love my Burts Bees Cocoa and Blueberry because - as the name suggests - it smells fantastically of chocolate with a slight fruity undertone. Um, DREAM. Who knew chapsticks were so exciting? ;)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I've been thinking about getting some blush, and I didn't even think about elf. I'll have to try that. Also, I might have to take your mascara advice too. Currently, I'm using Avon's liquid waterproof mascara. It's super durable (I can use make-up remover, shower, and wash my face and it'll still be there. . .). But it's really messy to apply and I prefer fast and easy.

    I've found this eyeliner I love, love. The brand is jane. I've only found it in a Bealls department store, but I really like. I usually use black but it also comes in a nice navy blue that's good if you want some color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elf also has a baked blush that I love, Ashley, since you're in the market! I believe it's called "pink passion," if you're interested. :)
      Messy mascara is a bane - I hope you like the Covergirl one better! The only qualm I have with it is that it is a pain in the derrière to remove - but coconut oil usually does the trick. :)

      I'm intrigued: I've never heard of the brand jane! I'm gonna see if I can find it now...^.^

      Delete
  3. I actually tried that palette this weekend and really liked it as well! I'm definitely going to try out the elf highlighter. I haven't used elf for so long but this product seems worth it!

    http://mllecoconath.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should! I find a lot of elf products can be cheap, but this is one that's definitely hidden gold!

      Delete
  4. Love the palette!
    xx
    Mademoiselle Coconath
    http://mllecoconath.com

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.