The Elegance Files, No. 10: Karlie Kloss

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Just a little series on being elegant, from tips my mother taught me and beyond. Click here to read more from the archives...

Karlie Kloss has been a style inspiration of mine for a good long while, and she's one of the very few people who I look up to in the industry who's style it's actually very easy to imitate: not just because it's very me (literally love almost everything she wears) but because it's refreshingly relaxed. Karlie dresses like an Everygirl, whether running from the gym to a shoot in fabulous athleisure (few pull it off. Karlie is one of them) or carting around the world, she always seems to be wearing something practical yet stylish.

One of the main assets of Karlie's style I love so much is her Parisian 90's nods - Parisian fashion in the 1990's can either be incredibly chic and timeless, or borderline dull, and she seems to have taken the best parts of the era and mixed them with modern pieces, playing them to their best. Of course I'm jealous of her mile-long model legs, being able to pull off amazing wide-leg pant silhouettes that would dwarf me, but for the most part her American-meets-retro-Paris look is remarkably easy to pull off -- and at every price point. She keeps it elegant and classy, plays with trends, but sticks to her basics too. There really is something to be said for that simple, played down, no-nonsense look that still somehow boldly declares style. 

I've linked a few of my favorite Karlie-esque pieces throughout this post, if you'd like to recreate her style. :)





Mastering the wide-leg pant is a feat. When in doubt, more structured is better with a pant that can quickly overwhelm your shape. Try something like this.



Sneakers are everything in capturing that effortless French vibe; the right pair can be worn with almost anything. Keds are a great, affordable option.

Athleisure done right: nice sneakers (I own these & can speak to their quality!), a good coat and a pair of sunglasses can keep your outfit street-appropriate when you're running on a tight schedule! 


Who said French braids and pink lipstick are only for little girls? This pink lipstick from Milani is a favorite of mine, and very similar to the shade Karlie wears here.



Airport style goals! Adorable rucksacks are always a good airport option (but keep an eye behind you for pickpockets). Similar option to Karlie's here.
What do you think? Do you like that cool French vibe? Can you tell Karlie Kloss has influenced my style? XD 

4 comments

  1. Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the post, Madeline! :)

      Delete
  2. I love her style! It isn't my style (athletic looks just don't ring true on ME), but I love it all the same. She does the laid-back Parisienne very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't she lovely? (now I'm singing Stevie Wonder oops) I always enjoy appreciating good style - even if it isn't something I would wear, it's nice to know that other things can look good on other people too, you know? Diversity of style, or something like that.

      Delete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.