#Athleisure: How To Make Your Workout Clothes Work For The Street

Friday, April 22, 2016

Back in December I had the privilege of collaborating with NoNonsense to share how I style knee socks (still love that post. check it out here!) so when they contacted me again to share some #athleisure tips, I was all in!

You all know I work out pretty regularly, but sometimes I'm running from my workout to the store to pick up some necessities, meeting up with a friend or heading out to Starbucks to get school work done. I don't want to look like a slob, but I don't always have time (or space in my bag) for a full wardrobe change. 

Enter Athleisure. What is the concept? Athleisure is about using key pieces to transform your workout clothing into street-appropriate wear. Today I'm going to be showing three different ways to do it, for all you busy working-women and students alike out there!

Note: this won't include tips like "wash your face", "touch up your makeup" and "wear some perfume" because I assume you know that jazz. ;)

LOOK 1: YOGI CHILL
harem pants: c/o no nonsense

One of my favorite ways to get in a sweat, particularly on days when I'm more tired and/or have been hitting it harder with my other workouts that week is yoga. I find I'm most comfortable in looser pants (because flexibility isn't just referring to your limbs in this case, and knickers showing through too-thin leggings is just not a risk I'd like to take. A nice snug tank that won't fall in my face during chaturanga, a bright headband to keep back my hair, and I'm set.

jacket: similar; top: similar; sneaker loafers: similar
To make this outfit street-appropriate, I added shoes (because hygiene, hello!) a fresh top and a leather jacket. The crispness of the leather balances out the otherwise pajama-like pants, and by tucking them under to create a cropped look, makes the ensemble much more like "real" clothing.

And nobody knows you're basically wearing the softest pajama pants ever (seriously, these pants are dreamy.) Win-win.

LOOK 2: CLASS ON THE GO
heather leggings c/o NoNonsense
This is my running-day outfit: fitted and simple, with nothing that's going to need constant adjusting or messing around with. I love these leggings because they break up the usual black uniform that is my workout-wardrobe! There's something about that heather-grey, too, that I find to be really flattering.

breton top: similar; workout top: old navy, similar; orange clutch: tory burch, similar; sneakers: nike
I went for a classically preppy look with this one, layering a short boater top over my longer tank (it covers my bum, because leggings still aren't quite pants). This is a fun chance to play with colors too, since the leggings are grey, I went with a cool palette and complimentary colors. I really like how it turned out. 

Embrace the California girl in you and wear your sneakers with your street clothes! I like that these Nikes are cool enough to wear with everyday clothing without looking mum-sy or drab; in fact, they feel quite the opposite. 

LOOK 3: POWER WOMAN
black cotton leggings via NoNonsense
This look is a balance between the first and the second: for strength training days, mostly, or just when I feel like it! I think every girl ought to have a staple pair of black leggings, whether you go to the gym or not; there are literally endless uses for a well-made pair!

I actually have quite a stash of them at this point, since they're part of my work uniform. XD These are really good quality cotton leggings though; unlike most, you cannot see through them when you bend over, they're comfortable, slimming, and don't do that horrible thing where they are too big/stretched out on the second wear. Overall, really well done.


This has to be my favorite transformation: the blazer! This iconic wardrobe item is possibly the best way to pull your gym gear to the next level. Pairing it with gym gear and not looking like a total fool can be hit or miss, but by pairing it with muted colors, it can work incredibly well. 

Also, doing something fun and unique with your hair can add a touch more of "I put in effort" to the ensemble, if you're feeling like you need a little extra oomph. I'm currently loving tight dutch braids: they make me feel so bohemian and fun!

What do you think? Have you been convinced that athleisure can be done? What would/do you wear to make your gym clothes street-ready? Let me know!

This post is in collaboration with No Nonsense. I have not been paid for my thoughts on these products; all opinions are honest and completely my own.

6 comments

  1. I envy the people who can go from exercising to normal daily activities without stopping for a shower. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, it's not always an option! ;P One of my favorite tips is to spray my post-workout clothes with my perfume before I go. That way they smell nice & I don't have to cart the bottle around with me...

      Delete
    2. Oooh, that's smart! Good idea.

      Delete
  2. these outfits all work so well! Awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Particularly in love with the second look. Great tips. checkout some of my athleisure styles at http://www.onwyattstyle.com

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.