5 Myths About Being Healthy (That No One Ever Told You)

Monday, May 09, 2016

img via tumblr / graphic my own

I think one of the things that most bothers me about eating sugar-free is all the sarcastic comments you get as a response. Oh. You're one of those people. Yeah, did you like loose 10 pounds in one day? How long are you going to be doing this? So do you really not eat any sugar?
I never want the way I eat to be a barrier between me and the people around me. Different people will make different choices with their lives, in every aspect, and not always good decisions. But with something as subjective as diet, I think we should be confident to eat what makes our bodies feel the best, and not be judgmental about it! So as a conversation starter, a way to open the topic and begin discussing it a bit more, here are 5 Myths About Being Healthy (that no one ever told you). Because you deserve to know what you're getting into. XD
via tumblr / graphic mine

1. EATING HEALTHY IS EXPENSIVE
This is probably the biggest, most fascinating myth that I actually believed until only recently. My younger sister works part-time at Publix (because she is a go-getter already at 15) and one of the things she picked up on almost immediately was the amount of money people spend on groceries - or rather, the proportion. Let me explain.

Believe it or not, the people buying all sorts of snacks/chips/desserts/prepackaged goods spend more, consistently, than the people buying fresh produce. See, the thing about snacky bits is that you end up buying a lot more of them, rather than if you meal-plan, and just buy what you know you'll need. But be aware: the people who spend the most are the in-betweeners, those who buy snacks - "but oh, these ones are organic". That's where you're going to get caught twice: once, because the price of "organic" food is regularly 1.5 times as expensive, and twice, because in reality those are hardly better for you. In fact, most of the time they aren't.


2. YOU HAVE TO HAVE A GYM MEMBERSHIP
Nope! There are so many free exercise regimes and circuits available on Pinterest, and all you usually need is an empty room (or backyard!) and spare time. (Check out my health board if you want to get started but don't know where!) Some of them require a few standard weights or bands, but most of them are bodyweight exercises, which are actually some of the best exercises you can do. And if that doesn't float your boat, go for a run or bike ride locally. There are a plethora of ways to stay active without signing up to a gym.


3. YOU NEVER CHEAT (or if you do, you binge)
Neither of these are true. The thing about being healthy is that you can't just do it for a month, loose what weight you want to/tone what you needed to, and quit: it's an ongoing process. And as a result, you have to make for yourself a diet that you can conceivably stick to. 

The way to keep from a total splurge when you do want to treat yourself is to make very specific guidelines. I don't eat sugar but once a month, and when I do, it's one item. Going into the month, I decide in advance what my splurge will be, based on what events I'll be attending. When you plan your splurges far before the actual moment, instead of waiting until you get there and can be tempted by other items, you'll have that "goal" already in your head, and you're a lot less likely to go overboard.
4. HEALTHY MEANS SKINNY
Nope again. I'm not overweight, but I'm definitely not skinny, and I would consider myself generally healthy. It's a process. Work with it. Love yourself. 

5. HEALTHY GIRLS DON'T HAVE INSECURITIES
Beyond false. (Or maybe I'm just not "healthy" enough yet?) - either way, I definitely don't feel like my body is where I want it to be yet, and that's okay! Everyone struggles with insecurities, so don't think that that will stop once you get to your "ideal" figure (assuming that this ideal is even possible. In my case, my ideal ideal figure would be tall and long-legged, but since that's just not happening, I have a more feasible goal in mind.) You're still going to be you, at the end of the day, skinny or curvy, tall or short, soft or firm - you are a flawed human being who sees more flaws in herself than exist. And that's a whole different sort of health to keep in check: weight loss or diet change won't fix it.

Are there any myths I missed? Let me know! I always learn so much from reading your comments; it's such a wonderful thing that we can have this safe community to poole ideas and resources. Xxx

all images via tumblr, graphics my own.

7 comments

  1. These are all really accurate, I hate telling people when I'm trying to get healthy, most people don't respond well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be almost a taboo topic, doesn't it? Which is odd, but c'est la vie. XP

      Delete
  2. I love all of these, and see them all as being true. I've never "dieted" - Mama always made it clear to us that eating well is a life style. And on a whole I do eat well, though sometimes I'm more careful about non-sugaring than I have been the last several weeks. Haha. Love this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rach!
      Lifestyle is exactly what it's about, I'm glad you brought that up! And hey, a little splurge never killed anyone. ;)

      Delete
  3. Great points!
    This has nothing to do with the myths, but I feel for ya on the comments you're getting for being sugar free. It's almost like people feel the need to take you down a notch for being healthy when they're not. Super annoying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is frustrating! The thing that keeps me from letting remarks like that get under my skin is that I feel so good, and I know that's worth more to me than "fitting in." :) And hey, I'm no martyr here; everyone gets flak for something in their life. XP

      Delete
  4. Really awesome post, girl. Being healthy definitely means finding happiness (or at least contentment) with yourself and your body. Haters gonna hate!

    Jasmine | The Sixth Disney Princess

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.