Post-Workout Blueberry Smoothie

Monday, June 20, 2016


I haven't talked much about my workout schedule on the blog, really since I shared my workout regime, but in case you were wondering: the fitness attempts go on! I wouldn't say I'm a gym rat quite yet, but I am still working out three times a week, which means that I'm regularly needing a post workout snack.

Post-workout snacks can be tricky, especially if you go to a gym instead of working out at home (home is where the food is XD) and are the sort of person who is hungry right after your workout (read: me). And really, it is to your benefit to eat within 30 minutes of your session, because that's when your metabolism is going the fastest!

So what to eat? There are countless recipes for protein shakes, countless variations of powders and products to load you up on energy after a workout, and while there are many that aren't as good as they claim, there are some products that are truly very beneficial! But for me personally, I've never loved the taste of protein powder, so I've had to come up with other ways of getting that energy in. 

This is one of my favorite post-workout shakes to check alllll da boxes, and it still tastes good! Taste factor is very important, because if it doesn't taste good, I know I'll just eat something less beneficial instead and defeat the purpose of the workout. And we don't want that.  

Bonus Tip: What I like to do is prep all the ingredients before I go to the gym: the night before, I make sure I freeze my fruits and have everything else on hand so that when I come home hungry, I don't have to rummage about and start inventing something on the spot. It doesn't take much time and makes such a difference!









What You'll Need:
1/2 cup of blueberries, fresh or frozen (if you're using fresh, add a handful of ice)
1 frozen banana
3 tbsp plain Greek yoghurt
1 tsp honey
1 tbsp all-natural peanut butter (my favorite sugar-free version here)
1 cup of filtered water (adjust to your preferences! This creates a thicker shake, so you may need a bit more.)

Instructions: Combine all ingredients and blend until smooth, or 2 minutes.

Benefits of this shake: Peanut butter is a wonderful, natural source of protein; blueberries are full of antioxidants, which help with recovery, and bananas are filling and will keep you going until your next meal.

Let me know if you try it!

What do you like to have after you workout - are you a shake/smoothie sort of girl, or do you prefer a sit-down meal? 

4 comments

  1. Yum yum yum this sounds amazing! I'm, unfortunately, allergic to peanuts, but I'm sure I could replace it with something like almond butter, yeah? Great recipe, girly!

    thesixthdisneyprincess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, almond butter would be fantastic! I actually love the combination of almonds + blueberries, so that's perfect. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm going to try this, looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.