5 Ways To Make The Most of A Rainy Summer Afternoon

Monday, August 15, 2016

via tumblr
What I love best about summertime is the abundance of sunshine, but even in the driest of places there are always the odd rainy days. Especially now, as summer is coming to a close, I find the heat becomes a bit more oppressive, and August seems to be the month for storms at the moment (at least in our neck of the woods!) Nonetheless, when you've got a free afternoon, you want to make the best of it - rain or shine! Here are some fun ideas for places to go + things to see, even when clouds threaten to ruin your picnic plans.

1. EXPLORE A MUSEUM / EXHIBIT
This is obviously a bit easier if you live in a metropolitan area, but even in smaller towns, there's always something to explore a bit further! I always find I leave exhibits/museums with a renewed sense of inspiration, and feeling wonderfully full of new knowledge.

2. BAKE SOMETHING (WITH A BUDDY)
I absolutely love a cosy baking session on a rainy summer afternoon! Most days it's too hot to want to run the oven, but the cooler temperatures rain brings make for the perfect outlet. Grab a sister, a friend, a mum - and spend a couple hours dirtying dishes and unravelling the mind. Bonus points if you have a tea party afterwards with your spoils... Currently on my to-bake list: these amazing-looking berry breakfast bars!

3. DECLUTTER
Ever a fan of cleaning out, it probably comes as no surprise to you that I like cleaning out on rainy summer days. What can I say? I'm all about that neat + tidy lifestyle. Plus, nobody wants to be cooped up in the house cleaning on the sunny days, so get this out of the way on a day when poolside lunches aren't a tantalizing alternative.

4. [ACTUALLY] READ A BOOK / POETRY
I think most of us have at least once had idyllic mental pictures of sitting by a window in the rain, reading a thick novel and sipping a tea that magically stays at the perfect temperature. It's a lovely vision, but at least in my case, it never seems to really come true, mostly because I'm distracted by my phone/computer. Try instead to put yourself in a room without any gadgets, get a book or some poetry you're truly interested in reading, put everything else out of your mind and allow yourself to sink in the words. It's hard to turn off from the technological world sometimes, but we need that separation - it's so good for the spirit.

5. MAKE ART 
Get together a girlfriend or two, put out all your paintbrushes and paints and paper and have an impromptu art session. I try to keep basic painting supplies around for this purpose, even if I don't use them as much as I'd like for most of the time, because they always come in handy. Don't forget coffee and a mellow playlist. This is one of my favorite things to do, at any time of the year really!

How do you spend rainy summer afternoons?

6 comments

  1. I like watching cozy movies with the family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw yes, that's the best! It's so rare for us to have everyone in the family at home in the afternoon, but when we are, that's one of my favorite ways to just chill. <3

      Delete
  2. These ideas are exactly what I've been doing these rainy days (except for the museums, because that requires getting out of the house). But you have inspired me to bake something fun tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that, Hannah! I can't wait to see what you make over on insta. ;)

      Thanks for stopping by! <3

      Delete
  3. I love these ideas and have been trying to make time each morning to read for an hour before work. Yes, I get up early and check Instagram and a Facebook a little less than usual, but I'm making up for it by feeding my mind pre-workday. It feels lovely. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you liked them, Rach!

    That's such a good practice, and one that I would definitely love to implement...except that I have to leave for work at 5:30, and getting up at 4 is just not worth it, even for that peace of mind. Someday, someday...<3

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.