Autumn Reading List 2016

Wednesday, September 21, 2016


Since sparking such great discussion back in June on my Summer Reading List, I wanted to share an Autumn rendition as well! While I didn't read half the books I intended to read this summer, I read a great many other ones, that I enjoyed - which is the important part. So while I write this list with high hopes of completing most of it, I'm well aware that reading is a meandering sort of habit: sometimes, though you may want to read a particular book, it just doesn't "fit" after the one you've just finished. Sometimes you find a book you didn't know you needed to read. Sometimes the book you were supposed to love isn't worth finishing after all. And you've just got to go with it. ;)

1. ALL THE LIGHT WE CANNOT SEE by Anthony Doerr
I've been reading quite a few WWII novels lately, and I'm not really ready to stop yet, ha! This was something Brianna mentioned on her blog ages ago - it piqued my interest, I totally forgot about it's existence, and then someone I know on Goodreads was reading it and I thought "There it is! My next fun-read."

2. CHRISTIAN APOLOGETICS by Cornelius Van Til
If you're looking for a good follow-up book after reading Mere Christianity, this is the one you want. Though I've only barely started it (it's apologetics, it takes some chewing! ;) I'm already feeling my eyes being opened wider yet: it gets you thinking really deeply about the purpose of man and the omniscience of God. I love that feeling.

3. 1776 by David McCullough
I've always been heavily interested in American Revolution history, but reading Alexander Hamilton (Ron Chernow) has gotten me especially in that mind-frame! Since no biographer is without bias, I thought it would be nice to round out my view a bit more with a history-- from one of the best historians I know. As soon as I finish Chernow (under 200 pages to go!), this is the next tome I can't wait to devour.

4. OUT OF THE SILENT PLANET by C.S. Lewis
Yep, I still haven't read this. Oh boy. Can someone poke me every few days and ask me if I've read it yet? ;) 

5. THE WASTE LAND AND OTHER POEMS by T. S. Eliot
I am a long-time lover of T.S. Eliot's poetry, and I picked up this little volume on a random day this summer, when I was fingering the spines on the shelf of Barnes and Noble. I'm feeling especially ambitious and am going to throw out that I'd actually like to memorize one of these...if I find a decent-sized one, since Eliot tends to be long and languishing. ;)

6. THE RAMBLERS by Aidan Donnelley Rowley
I'm skeptical of this book, I have to say -- it does sound good, at least (but I have heard mixed reviews). Nevertheless, I always like to throw a wild card at the end of my list, to stretch my horizons and find something new. Sometimes I find something amazing (read: A Room With A View by E. M. Forster), sometimes it's not as great: but it's always interesting.

What books are you hoping to read this Autumn Season? Any recommendations from what you read this summer?

8 comments

  1. I've been reading the same book for like three months x)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What book, if you don't mine my asking? ;)

      Delete
    2. Rilla of Ingleside, by L.M. Montgomery. It's a delightful and sweet little book, I just don't have any time to read, haha!

      Delete
    3. All the light we cannot see is SO GOOD! I think I read it in one day.
      I'll have to check out some of the other books on your list - they look really interesting!

      Lee - leethrifts.com

      Delete
    4. Riley,
      I love Rilla of Ingleside! Such a sweet one - but it took me quite a while too. :)

      Delete
    5. Lee,
      Okay you've got me intrigued now! I'll have to pick it up next time I'm out!

      Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, All the Light We Cannot See is stunning. I'm hoping to re-read it as soon as possible. I adore The Waste Land (though I'm sure I'm barely understanding it), and join the club of people who have no excuses for why they haven't read Out of the Silent Planet! As for recommendations, my new favourite poet is Christian Wiman (he visited Hillsdale last week). "Every Riven Thing" is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - nothing but good things for this book: I've got to get my hands on it. <3
      Yeah I know The Waste Land is going to be a "I need to reread this at least three times before I know what I just read" sort of thing...but I love poetry, so I'm looking forward to it. ;)
      A contemporary poet! I'll have to look him up! Modern poetry seems to be very hit or miss, but I trust your judgement. ;)

      Delete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.