ALL ART CAN BE INSPIRATIONAL // (What I Learned From Instagram Creators)

Monday, October 31, 2016


So since starting up my public blog Instagram, I've been meeting and connecting with so many new creatives online. It's been really inspiring to me, for one thing, because I feel like I've been in a blogging rut for almost a month now, and finding other creatives that are pushing the proverbial box-boundaries always helps me to do the same. (Caveat: I wouldn't say I'm completely out of the rut, but I'm working through it, which is key.) During this process, however, I'm noticing something pretty fantastic about a lot of Instagram creators: they all seem to draw inspiration from a diverse range of art.

I see photographers connecting with fashion bloggers, and painters connecting with social media managers, and musicians drawing from literature, and writers learning from musicians. There's a sense of art being universal: a theme that one form of art draws from and is, consequentially, inspired by multiple other forms. As a writer and a fashion-enthusiast, I find this wildly exciting.

I mean, think about it: some of the most iconic fashion collections have been inspired by history. Even this years biggest trends are odes to art and interior design from past generations.
I mentioned just this weekend that I glean most of my writing inspiration from the music I listen to. (For those new here, yep! I write books in my spare time!)
I'm finding more and more that you can't just try to be inspired by one specific type of work, because then your art becomes a copy; a second-rate edition of what someone else has already done. But when you diversify your resources, pulling from paintings and music and photography and life and everything you come in contact with, your art becomes a better reflection of real life.

Real life is multi-faceted. If you only draw inspiration from your specific little niche, you'll never grow beyond it, and art that's not growing is art that's dying. Not to mention, inspiration's a lot easier to find if you're not limiting yourself to something exactly like what you aim to be.

So the question of the day is this:
what inspires you?

10 comments

  1. I love this post muchly indeed! As for some things that inspire: books that are beautiful (both inside and out), moonlight, rain, movies... EVERYTHING! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moonlight for sure! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  2. Hmm, that's true! And I just realized I have not followed your blog instagram until now. Just followed! So pretty.
    Cheers,
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw sweet! Glad to have you in the tribe. ;)

      Delete
  3. My gosh, this is brilliant! You've pinpointed what art is and should always be, and very beautifully, I might add!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you for your kind words, Rebecca! If I have told the truth, I've met my goal. So thanks. :)

      Delete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.