How To Make A Better French Press

Friday, November 18, 2016

Hello and happy Friday, friends! What better way to celebrate the end of the week than with coffee? If you know me at all, you know I'm a coffee drinker. I love pretty much everything from rich cold brews and drips all the way down to pumpkin spice lattes, but my favorite type of coffee is probably a nice, strong French Press. Especially since cutting out sugar, I love that French Pressed coffee has an almost chocolatey texture to it-- so rich and smooth and dark!    So when I got a single-serving French Press for my birthday, I was excited to experiment with ratios for the new size! Here's what I've learned (so far) makes a superior cup...


1. DON'T GRIND YOUR BEANS TOO FINELY
A coarse grind provides a slower release of flavor, and a fuller flavor overall. This will mean you'll have to steep yours longer (5-6 minutes) but it's worth the difference.

2. WET YOUR GROUNDS
...With a bit of cold water, before adding the hot water. This prevents the shock-factor of boiling water from burning the beans, and giving your coffee that unpleasant bitter taste. 

3. A DARKER ROAST
...Tends to taste better in a French Press. That's more my opinion, I suppose, but I've yet to come up with a ratio of water-to-beans-to-time that is strong enough to make a brew that's more than just tea-consistency, yet hasn't gotten that over-steeped (some call it "dish rag") taste.




What's your favorite way to drink coffee? Do you have a favorite blend, method, or add-in?
(I also love cold brew with unsweetened almond milk...)
(Not that you really needed to know that...)

2 comments

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.