My Grandmother's Easy Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Bread

Friday, November 11, 2016

I've shared a few recipes on here in the past, but generally I try to keep them healthy, simply because I'm not a food blogger, and I feel like it's not really the purpose of this blog. But! In the spirit of all things Autumn, and because I posted a picture of this on my Instagram story the other day and got quite a few recipe-requests, I'm breaking the rules a little bit today. ;) 
This is my grandmother's apple bread recipe-- edited. The original recipe doesn't call for cinnamon, has about half the amount of apples, no topping, and bakes for much longer (I'm convinced ovens must just be hotter and faster than they were in Gramma's day, because otherwise I have no clue how she baked it so long without burning!*), but the base of the recipe is mostly the same. What I love about this is how easily you could add/subtract ingredients without messing it up; if you're feeling like getting really crazy, this would be really good with raisins and walnuts in too! (I would suggest reducing the amount of apples proportionate to whatever ingredients you decide to add.)

And best of all? Super simple. (If you're clever about it, you can use one measuring cup for the whole process, as all are multiples of a 1/2 cup. ;) Perfect for breakfast on Thanksgiving morning - or any morning, really, when you want something nicer but don't feel like cleaning up a ton of dishes. The longest part of the process is the baking -- 40 min in the oven.

If you do try it, let me know what you think!

*Maybe it's the apples? ;)









Gramma's Apple Cinnamon Bread

SECTION I:
-1/2 cup butter/shortening (I like to do half of each)
-1 cup sugar
-1 1/2 tsp vanilla
-3 eggs

SECTION II:
-1/2 tsp sea salt (sea salt instead of table salt makes all the difference, I swear)
-2 tsp baking powder
-2 cups all purpose flour

SECTION III:
-1 tsp cinnamon
-2 large apples, chopped well (3 cups)

TOPPING:
-1/4-1/2 tsp cinnamon
-1 tsp light brown sugar

DIRECTIONS:
1. Cream section I ingredients for a few minutes, until smooth and fluffy.
2. Slowly mix in section II ingredients.
3. Stir in section III ingredients, being careful not to break apple bits too much.
4. Spoon into wax-lined baking tin, and sprinkle with topping.
5. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 40-45 min.
6. Let cool and set for 10 minutes before serving.

Best with just a bit of butter and a cup of strong coffee! Enjoy. Xx


6 comments

  1. Well now I'm hungry ;)
    Is this your kitchen? It's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops. ;)
      Yep, this is our kitchen! Thank you! (though I can take only a little credit for that, ha)

      Delete
  2. Dangit, you're making it really, really hard for me to keep up this gluten-free thing. ;) Those pictures, tho, they're gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kitchen is GOALS.

    And I'm loving the evolution of your photography. Your blog is so visually stunning + coupled with so much real grace and heart. Kudos to you for writing a lifestyle blog that keeps it real AND beautiful. Not going to lie, I largely dislike lofty and and unreachable, cold and "perfect" lifestyle bloggers and fashionistas. Keep doing what you're doing, Carmel. You've got awesome content that's, more importantly, genuine. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just working those angles, girl. ;)

      You just made my day. Seriously, it's SO encouraging to hear your genuine words and feel like the time and effort is paying off! It's people like you that make it all worthwhile. <3

      Delete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.