My Health + Fitness Goals, 2017

Friday, January 20, 2017


Hello + happy Friday, friends! As the title would suggest, today I wanted to share some of my personal fitness goals for the year. I know technically the time for "new years" posts is probably past, but I know if I don't share these goals somewhere, I won't hold myself accountable - and accountability is the key to success!

I've recently come up with a new plan to stay on track with my goals, too: instead of rewarding myself with something like ice cream when I meet a fitness goal (and thereby somewhat depleting it), I'm stashing at least 50% of my cash tips from work in an envelope, and each time I check one of these boxes, I'll get to spend from the stash. (I'm so pumped to cross off that plank goal so I can take a tiptoe into Sephora you guys...)

Obviously, these are just personal to me - I would love to hear what some of your goals are for staying fit and growing stronger this year! Let's do this together!

1. Hold a 5-minute plank
I've kinda thrown this one around in the back of my head for years but this is the year I'm making it happen. I started the year with an average 1:30 minutes plank length and have already managed to build to 3:00 minutes. Not a bad start, if I do say so!

2. Run 7 miles (in one sitting)
One of last year's goals was to run in a race, and let's just say that came to a screeching halt when I graduated and the workload kicked into full gear! So this year I'm being more realistic. My current longest average run is the same as last year's: 2.5 miles. Short-term (as in, by May), I'd like to do 5 miles, which I know isn't a lot for some people, but for me that would be a big deal. By the end of the year, I want to do at least one 7-mile run - with 10 miles being the more lofty dream. ;)

3. Do 1,000 situps in 1 hour
This is just a crazy, stupid, "why not?!" one - but some of my friends did this one afternoon last week, and the verdict was that it actually wasn't as bad as they thought. I don't intend to do it by myself, but as soon as I can coerce someone bold enough to try it with me (likely my little brother), I'm down.

4. Do yoga at least twice a week
Especially with building up to longer runs, yoga is essential for maintaining length and loosening up sore muscles. I don't do anything long and intense, usually just a 25-30 min practice, but it always makes a difference, so I want to make more regular time for it.

5. Be a more "intentional" eater
I'm one of those people who, if there's a bowl of popcorn or something in front of me while I'm working, I'll just pick at it, piece by piece until it's all gone. It's not that I'm hungry, it's not that I love popcorn (in fact, I don't really like popcorn at all, ha!) it's just that it's a form of procrastination. I'm really trying to focus on not only snacking less, but also being specific about my snacks. Instead of peanut butter on toast, I'm choosing peanut butter on celery. Instead of yet another cup of coffee, I'm drinking some herbal tea. Instead of mindlessly eating kettle cooked sea-salt-and-vinegar potato chips (they are my weakness y'all) while I type on the computer, I'm putting a serving in a bowl and putting the bag out of sight and out of mind.

They're little things, but they make a difference. Overall, I'm just trying to not eat mindlessly. :)

What are your health/fitness goals this year?

5 comments

  1. My health and fitness goals this year is to eat healthier and to actually exercise. I am already a tiny person. I've been between 104 and 112 pounds for like two years, but it's not about losing weight for me. I need to get my heart rate up, and get my muscles moving! I need to build muscle as well. I have never been a sugar eater, so I'm working on cutting sugar out of my diet completely. And although I love my fruits and vegetables, I am working on consuming fruits and vegetables multiple times a day, instead of just once. I have been walking/jogging/running every morning, five days a week so far since the new year has started. I am at 1.2 miles a day now, a total of 6 miles a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fantastic, Hannah! I'd love to make running an everyday activity like you have, especially once I'm in school again and on a slightly more consistent schedule, ha. (My shins have been bothering me a bit at the moment, so unfortunately I'm having to slow down for a short time.) Thanks for sharing, and as always, thanks for stopping by! <3

      Delete
  2. I can plank for about 2 minutes before I start to die ;) I'd love to increase that time!
    I'm with you on intentional eating, usually I snack out of boredom or procrastination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made it to 4 minutes today, somehow, but felt a bit like I wanted to throw up after, haha! I think the hardest part for me is going to be maintaining that endurance...I might do it once, and that's great, but what I really want to be able to do is consistency. So here's to longer planks, both of us!

      You snack out of boredom too? Kindred spirits right there. ;)

      Delete
  3. Yeah, I need to make some goals too. At least the intentional eating one... popcorn is my perpetual weakness. :P Your goals are awesome! There's no way I could even think about running 7 miles, haha!

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.