Time Is All Around | 2017

Monday, January 02, 2017


"I always get this strange nostalgia at the end of the year...well, I suppose it's not really strange after all. Everyone is nostalgic at year's end, right? And neither am I a stranger to nostalgia. But the nature of the nostalgia is strange: it tells me to hold tight to the old, while simultaneously pushing me to the edge. I want to let go. I want to leap, to run from the end of the old year as though it will swallow me down with it if I don't get off fast enough. But then I think that I'll never see it again and it's an old friend, a comrade, and I wonder if I'll ever remember little things in that photo album, (the white spaces between the captured memories, you know, not just the memories themselves), or if they'll get sucked down too, to that murky place in my mind I can never seem to get back to. (I can see it, but I can't touch.) The old and the new: a beautiful juxtaposition; a catch-22. If you run you can't see the beauty; if you slow down, you get caught in it's snare." -a note to myself, 27 december 2016


Hey stranger. Remember me? I figured there was no better time to reemerge from the abyss of silence here than the first of the New Year (well, 2nd, technically - but it's Monday, and that counts for something too). I also figured there was no better way to restart than with a reassessment of goals with this blog. If you've been around for a little while you know I love fresh starts, love the feeling of cleaning out the clutter: both physically and mentally. Well, this is a little of the latter.

I didn't want to share all my personal goals today - if you are interested, I may write a separate post of those - but rather, chose focus on my goals for the blog this year. What you'll be seeing more of, where I'd like to go with this website, etc.

So here we are: 2017, a new year, a new start, and a clearer frame of mind. I have this strange desire to pull a John Keating on you all and yell "CARPE DIEM!" 


1. EDITORIAL
I really want to push my photography style this year, to create a more editorial experience - with outfit posts particularly. It's become increasingly hard to find time to shoot between jobs, especially as it's dark so early these days, but I will make it work nonetheless. After all, time waits for no man, and if I put off being creative until when I think I might have "time", who knows if I'll even still possess the ability. ;)

2. VIDEOGRAPHY
As last year, I'm itching to dip my toes in the film side of this media world. No, I'm not going to become a vlogger, at least not in the near future - but I'd love to play with filming rather than photographing certain posts I have planned...

(Filming takes much more time, so who knows how frequent of a venture this will actually end up to be. But I'm being optimistic here!)

3. FITNESS
I kind of let the fitness aspect of this blog to fall to the curb last year - and I'm not really sure why. But I'd love to pick it back up and maybe even share some of my own routines with you all. Is that something you'd be interested in seeing? Running and yoga and working out have all become such a large part of my life in the past year that it seems odd to me that I haven't shared more; but if it's not something you're interested in reading, however, than that's a very good reason not to. So let me know!

4. COLLEGE
I really want to take you all on the journey with me, from working and money saving tips, to getting adjusted to freshman life and dorm hacks - learning as I go and sharing what I do learn with you. I think since most of my readers are either in college, college prepping, or have daughters nearing college, this could be a useful resource! I'm even considering sharing more about what it's like to take a gap year, since that's become such a common thing among students in recent years, and try to make it a bit clearer for any high schoolers considering the option. Plus, I've got so many thoughts to share already, and it's only January...XD

Conclusion: I've got exciting plans for 2017, both in real life, and right here on this little old blog. Thank you so much for sticking around through the thick and thin of it: I invite you to continue the journey with me. Here's to the new!

11 comments

  1. I'm excited about all of this. I hate running, so I'm not into running posts, but I like any exercise tips that are doable things at home without a gym (some of us live out in the middle of nowhere and have no wifi.). Yayyyyyyyy, dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, you've given me an idea. Thanks for the feedback! :)

      Delete
  2. Good luck with your exciting plans for 2017!!!

    Love,
    Monique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Monique! And welcome to the blog! :)

      Delete
  3. Ooh, you have me so excited! And personally, I think more fitness-oriented posts would be so fabulous! I'm always up for inspiration in that department :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it, Rebecca! I'm the same. XD

      Delete
  4. Yay for 2017! :)
    I second the fitness posts. Running is still a struggle for me, but reading fitness posts (and healthy food posts) are a big encouragement. And college too -- I'm only just beginning on the selection/application (even the, 'should I be doing this?') and it's daunting to say the least.
    I love your writing style and the freshness of your blog -- I'm looking forward to following along this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems fitness is a go! Haha. And I'd love to share more about my college application/prep process as I go! I'm so glad to have a good reason to. ;)

      Thank you, Mary! And thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  5. And she's back!
    Excited to see what you've got in store for this year Carmel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like that merits a drumroll or something, right? ;) Thanks for sticking around, friend. <3

      Delete
  6. I was going to comment on this post way earlier but I never found time... I love all of the ideas here! I've really enjoyed following your blog for a while, and I would love to see your thoughts on the college experience. I'm planning on taking a gap semester and then going to college next spring so it's perfect timing for me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.