I Want Adventure In The Great, Wide Somewhere | #OOTD

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

(Yes that's a Beauty and the Beast reference.)


Maybe it's just the romanticism of Beauty and The Beast affecting my clothing choices (wink), but I've noticed recently (and by recently, I really mean over the past several months) I'm drawn more and more to more feminine pieces. It's funny actually, how much my style has changed over the years: from the little 11 year old who so desperately wanted to be a rockstar that she swore she'd walk down the aisle in white skinny jeans...to this.




And most interesting of all, I think, is that I don't feel more fragile or vulnerable in skirts and dresses and retro-inspired pieces: I feel stronger. There is strength in femininity; in recognizing my delicateness as a woman, the very thing that makes me supposedly "weaker", I feel like I've tapped into my greatest skill: the potential to remain gentle in a ruthless world.






C. S. Lewis said that "to love at all is to be vulnerable." It's something I'd like to implement more: loving other people well, even if I get nothing in return. And maybe, dressing in a softer, more approachable way is the outward ramification of that.





Or maybe I'm just smitten with retro fashion. 

Outfit Details:
Necktie: vintage, unknown, similar
Top: Forever 21, old, similar
Shoes: Old Navy, old, similar
Bag: Vintage Coach, similar Madewell bag here

SaveSave

14 comments

  1. You're lovely. <3 This look is soft, feminine, and very flattering on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this outfit! And you look like Daisy Ridley (I think I said in a different comment that you look like Emma Stone, which is still true, but you REALLY look like Daisy :D) xx nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet! Thank you! Daisy Ridley's definitely got better skin than I have, but I'm definitely cool with that comparison. ;D

      Delete
  3. I love this look on you! So classic and very feminine. I totally agree with you that there is strength in femininity! I've been trying to dress more feminine lately too, just because I really like how it looks and how I feel while wearing it, but my struggle is that it takes more time to dress in a way that looks nice and put-together, and sometimes it's just easier to throw on jeans and a shirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne!
      As a girl who literally lives in jeans, I'm right there with you. And I think it's important to still wear what you feel like yourself in, too. For me, that means pretty tops and skinny jeans - and the occasional skirt; I'm just noticing I feel more "me" lately in a skirt than I ever used too, and I like that. :) But, as you said, though there's definitely more respect garnered when we're dressed well, it takes time!

      Conclusion: it does take extra effort, it's most of the time worth it; at the same time, some days a t-shirt is where it's at, ha! Balance and all that. ;)

      Cheers! <3

      Delete
  4. You know how drawn I am to the feminine side of things so it's not really surprising that I really love this outfit and wish I had the same pieces in my wardrobe. Also that cherry tree. I would like that cherry tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not surprised at all. ;)
      This cherry tree was a good 15 minute walk from home, carrying my tripod et al, so I'm very chuffed indeed that you like it! Haha. XD

      Delete
  5. Ahhhhh! I love this post so much! I sang along to the Beauty and the Beast reference and loved hearing your thoughts on feminine strength. It's really the difference between the world's view of us and God's view of us. He loves us exactly as we are created. Love the feminine touches in your wardrobe too!

    And that C.S. Lewis quote is one of my all-time favorites! "To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh that makes me so happy, Madeline!

      You're absolutely right: God's desire for us is so much more than basic "tough"ness. We are called to a higher, more beautiful standard. <3

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. SO DANG CUTE. As always, you look beautiful - inside and out. <3 P.s. This post absolutely embodies springtime; those trees are gorgeous. Let's have a picnic soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'M BLUSHING.

      Yes, please! (re: picnic. :D)

      Delete
  7. I'm in LOVE with these pictures ! You're blog is amazing and you've grown so much! You look beautiful I look forward to your posts every single time !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this outfit, this post, and this friend <3 :)

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.