Skin From Within: What To Eat To Improve Your Complexion

Monday, March 06, 2017

Happy Monday, my friends! I hope your weekend was good. <3 p="">
via tumblr

Today I want to talk about a topic that has been pretty important to me for most of my adult life, and that is skincare. I hit puberty pretty hard with breakouts ranging from moderate to pretty bad at the beginning, and it's taken a lot of time and research and experimentation to get my skin to the place it is today. I've even cut out most sugar and dairy* because it irritates my skin so much - which brings me to the topic of today's post.

I think a huge focus of skincare/beauty blogs is on topically-applied products, which makes sense because the beauty industry relies on selling a concrete product and not just an idea, but: a huge part of skincare depends on what you are and aren't eating each day. It makes a big difference whether or not you'll need that spot-treatment, for example, if you had a pizza and ice cream for dinner last night, or a salad. Obviously those are extremes, and clearly I still eat pizza from time to time because duh it's pizza, but they illustrate a point: different dietary choices = different states of skin-clarity.

So I wanted to share with you some of the good foods that have helped me maintain a clearer, more even complexion, in hopes that if you are also struggling with acne, you'll know at least two things today:
1) I've been there, I know what it's like and I promise it will get better, and
2) if you eat these foods, I can't promise your skin will be perfect, but I do know that I've noticed a clear improvement. And that's what it's all about.

5 Foods To Eat To Improve Your Skin

||  E G G   W H I T E S
I always thought people were crazy for taking the yolk out of their eggs, but when I did research it, it made more sense. Not only do egg whites contain more than half the protein of the entire egg, without the calories contained in the yolk, they also are full of collagen, which promotes elasticity in the skin. I definitely notice a difference when I've had a lot of egg whites in my diet: the main thing I notice is that my skin tends to be brighter and less dehydrated. (I shared my favorite way to eat egg whites in this post, if you're stumped for ideas.) They can also be applied topically, such as an egg white face mask!

||  L E S S   S P I C Y
I hate to say this, because spicy food = flavor, and I'm never a fan of sacrificing flavor, but when you've got a lot of rich spices playing in your system, it tends to aggravate acne-prone skin. I wouldn't ever cut out spicy foods completely, but it's good to be aware of the effects, and limit them as best you can.

||  W A T E R
Of course you want to be drinking a good amount of water every day, whether your skin is a concern for you or not, but I always especially notice a difference on the days I haven't drunk as much (my skin gets tight and irritated). It's also good to be aware of how much coffee and salt you're consuming, as they will dehydrate you more (I know, I know. XP). Also, a lot of vegetables have a high water concentration, so eating some of those in addition to drinking water will help you meet those goals!

||  A P P L E   C I D E R   V I N E G A R
Okay, not going to lie: ACV does not taste good straight up. But if you pour a small dash in a large glass of water, you can barely taste it. The key is to dilute it: you won't be able to cover the taste of vinegar, so instead, try to dissipate it in another liquid.
In terms of benefits, apple cider vinegar is up there with coconut oil for versatility! It's full of other health benefits, like stabilizing your blood sugar and reducing the risk of diabetes, but what we're concerned with today is that it balances your skin's ph levels as well as having antibacterial properties that help clear your skin. I never can be completely sure if it's the apple cider vinegar itself or all the extra water I'm drinking that makes my skin feel better, but either way, it's working, so I'll take it. XD

(Also, every time I take apple cider vinegar I'm reminded of Jordan Taylor from Blimey Cow. Just throwing that out there.)

||  S A L M O N  /  E T C.
Salmon is full of healthy fats, omega-3s and oils that will hydrate your skin from the inside! It also contains Vitamin B, which reduces inflammation, and the antioxidant astaxanthin, which helps prevent further skin damage and maintain that elasticity of skin. I know that's a lot of daunting claims, but I do notice improvement in the hydration of my skin when I have more healthy fats in my diet, such as salmon or avocado, coconut oil, etc., and that's the bottom line. No, I don't eat salmon for every meal, but when I do feel my skin is more irritated, I try to incorporate it if at all possible.

Best of luck to you on your skincare journey!
What has helped you maintain a better complexion?

4 comments

  1. Note: I thought of Jordan the instant you mentioned apple cider vinegar. :')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeeees. Add that to the list of "You Might Be A Homeschooler If...". XD

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness! I thought of Jordan from Blimey Cow too! LOL I guess we'll all have to do it bc he says so.

    It sounds like we have similar skin goals and routines. I've cut most of my dairy and sugar as well as avoiding corn and gluten. It's been two years of trying to avoid those inflammatory foods. And this year, I have the goal of absolutely no treats/desserts (besides these super healthy sugar-free cookies our family makes and limited dark chocolate.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Madeline, I'm so impressed that you've cut out all desserts! Even without sugar, I still like to whip up sweet concoctions to satisfy my sweet tooth, haha...
      Props to you. That's awesome. :)

      Delete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.