Sugar- and Dairy-Free Snickerdoodle Mug Cake Recipe

Monday, March 27, 2017

I mentioned on Instagram the other night that I had perfected my Snickerdoodle Mug Cake recipe, and got a few requests to share my concoction! (I mean, you don't have to ask me twice.)

I love mug cakes. Like hardcore love them, because it means I can have a very swaddle-able dessert, perfect for cosying in bed with, while you watch an episode of your favorite TV show (betcha can't guess mine? ;) or read a nice, thick book. I love that they're easy and require basically no cleanup at all. (Make sure you soak your mug immediately after you finish, though...cleaning dried cake-bits is a real pain in the backside, not gonna lie.)

But what I don't love about most mug-cake recipes is that they have both sugar and dairy involved, two things I routinely avoid. Does that stop me? Nah.

Introducing the Snickerdoodle Mug Cake, made with love and without sugar or dairy. Don't believe me? Try it.

le pajamas mentioned here.
INGREDIENTS:
-2 tablespoons of coconut oil
-1/4 cup of flour
-1.5 tablespoons [preferably local] honey
-3/4 teaspoon cinnamon*
-1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
-3 tablespoons of water**

DIRECTIONS:
1. The first time I attempted this, I whisked in the flour at the end. Mistake! I had lumps of flour in the final batter. Not yummy!
Instead, melt the coconut oil in your mug of choice (something medium-sized and more wide is the best, in my opinion), and then whisk in the flour. It should create a thick, creamy texture.
2. Add your honey, cinnamon and vanilla. Mix thoroughly. At this point, your batter should be pretty stiff/thick/paste-y.
3. Add the water, whisk until smooth. Be careful, because it's pretty easy to go overboard here! The final consistency should be like pancake batter: not too thick, but not watery either.
4. Microwave for approximately 2 minutes.
5. Cool for at least 5 minutes (These things are piping hot. Be careful.)

*I like a lot of cinnamon, as a warning. You may wish to adjust accordingly. ;)

**You can use unsweetened almond milk too; it definitely gives the cake a fuller flavor, but I know some people dislike the almondy-taste. I use water, simply because don't always have almond milk on hand, and have found it's perfectly good as an alternative. :)

***It should be noted that, though I've tried to make Brownie Mug Cake too, it's a little harder to accomplish that true chocolate gooeyness without sugar or dairy. I can go without one or the other, but as of yet have not succeeded sans both. Any tips? Share your knowledge, please!

And you're all set for a cosy night in! This mug cake has become such a staple, I probably make at least one a week...oops. And how can you not, when it's so tasty, and relatively healthy?

Let me know if you try it, and what your thoughts are! 
Happy Monday!

11 comments

  1. That looks delicious! Hmmm...now I know what I'll have for dessert tonight :) (Hopefully it will work with GF flour...).

    - Dottie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo, you'll have to let me know how that turns out, Dottie! :)

      Delete
  2. I wish I was home so I could whip this up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could send you one through the mail somehow! ^.^

      Delete
  3. What can I say but THANK YOU! I made snickerdoodles con.stant.ly freshman year, but the butter and sugar really caught up with us.

    I cannot wait to try this out! Cinnamon is my favorite flavor in the universe, so I'll definitely put the full amount. I mean, what's snickerdoodle without cinnamon?

    As for chocolate cake in a mug, here is my go-to recipe. Delish!

    2 TBS almond butter
    2 TBS maple syrup or honey
    1 egg
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 1/2 TBS cocoa powder
    Dash of salt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it, Madeline! And thanks in return for the brownie mug cake recipe - I'll have to give it a whirl this week! :)

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah, and I forgot to put the cooking time. 45-60 seconds in the microwave on high.

      Delete
    3. Also, it makes a lot, so I usually make it in a bowl with tall sides.

      Delete
  4. I have a realllllly good chocolate cake/brownie in a mug! I wrote it down inside my writing book as an editing treat years ago and still periodically make it. That one is gluten free too. ^.^ Thanks for this recipe! Saving it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it, Rachel! And if you feel like dropping that bomb chocolate/brownie mug cake recipe anywhere, you know where to find me... ;D

      Delete

  5. Thank you so much for posting this recipe, Carmel! I'm currently giving up sugar for lent, and the other day I was just dying for something hot and sweet. I quickly whipped this up, and it perfectly hit the spot! My day was made x) And as I write this, I may possibly by indulging in another one...

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.