Shopping For Your First Pair of Heels | Tips + Recommendations

Wednesday, May 10, 2017


I was asked by a sweet friend this weekend what my suggestions were for buying your first pair of heels - and as it wasn't the first time I'd been asked, I thought it might be easier just to create a post with all I have to share, so it's a bit easier for anyone who may be wondering the same! 

I was one of those precocious middle schoolers who wanted to wear heels to school in 6th grade - and actually did wear one pair of stacked-heel cowgirl boots at least 50% of my 8th grade school year. After that, I transitioned into the more classic pump, still taking every opportunity to rock a pair I'd found at the thrift store that was my first "real" pair of heels. I don't own them anymore, but it was the start of a beautiful friendship. ;)

I honestly don't wear heels very frequently anymore: long hours at work make heels impossible, so only on Sundays to church do I have the opportunity. Still, there's nothing quite like pumps to dress up an outfit, and though I don't wear them all the time, I still keep a few pairs in my wardrobe as an absolute essential for formalwear. I think every woman should own at least one black and one nude pair, as you never know when you'll need them.


Tips For Shopping for / Wearing Heels:

1. My favorite brands of heels I've ever owned (and still own, because they're still going strong) are definitely more unorthodox brand choices, but they're honestly the most comfortable heels I've ever owned. One is from Seychelles, and the other from Old Navy. I can wear either of their heels for a good 5 hours with no problem.

2. If you're unsure about heels because you're afraid you're going to trip in a stiletto, try a block-heeled shoe. They're super easy to walk in, and actually very on trend at the moment. And though it's true that most block-heels tend to be more casual/beachy, you can definitely find some that still look classy and dressy. (See above links) Another option would be a wedge - again, you might have a to search a little harder for something more formal, but it's not impossible.

-Another way to ease into wearing heels is to start with a shorter height. Generally, I aim for under 5" heel height anyway, (just because I could trip over literally anything), but especially if you've not worn heels long/at all before, that's a much more manageable height!

-I know a lot of people are worried about walking right out of their heels, and though that is a lot less of a hazard than it seems like it would be, if you do want that extra support, look for a heel with an ankle- or arch-strap. It will definitely add more stability to (and therefore give you more confidence in) your stride. :)

-For your first pair of heels, I can't recommend more a pair of nude heels. Everyone says classic black heels are a must, but personally I've gotten much more use out of my nude pair. Leg-elongating with a dress or skirt in warmer weather, just as endlessly classy as a black pair with your jeans and trousers on cooler days. And you can wear nude with brown and navy, unlike black. ;) 

-Practice, practice, practice. That's the only way to become comfortable walking in your heels. Wear them around the house, wear them to a long work shift (but bring a pair of flats to switch into when your feet get too sore!), wear them to shorter occasions until they've softened to your foot a bit more. Before you know it, you'll be a pro. 💃


What are your tips for walking in + wearing heels?

2 comments

  1. I recently rocked a pair of heels to a Broadway show in NYC, and I've never been prouder! Heels give my outfit that little oomph and my confidence a little boost. Fabulous tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always tell people who are new to heels to not walk on their toes. It makes one look like a wobbly giraffe ;) Focus on stepping first on the heel and then onto your toe.

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.