Summer Reading List 2017

Monday, May 15, 2017

It's that time of year again, you guys! I'm so excited to share this post, and hopefully accomplish most of these books before I leave for school in September... There are so many titles I've been itching to read, and though unlike past years, my schedule won't be getting any lighter this summer...I like to think I can still make it happen.

After all, it doesn't feel like a real summer if you haven't spent at least a couple days just lying around for hours reading, (preferably by the pool or in an eno), in my opinion.


Summer Reading List, 2017

1. Flannery: A Biography by Brad Gooch
I started this one last week and have really been enjoying it! I do love a good biography, and learning about Flannery O'Connor's [brief] life has been really eye-opening about myself actually...I didn't realize how much we had in common! I would've loved to have met her. 

I'm hoping to finish it before I go out of town in a week, so that I can bring some new books with me while I travel!

2. The Magnolia Story by Chip and Joanna Gaines
Instagram friends might remember my little rant a couple weeks ago about capitulating to the Fixer Upper craze. Since then, not only have I watched reruns of the show, but I got the latest magazine and now I want to read the book...I'm obsessed! But in all seriousness, I think Chip and Joanna are so cute, and The Magnolia Story looks like a great, light, summer read.

3. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak 
I had this in my master-list of Books I Want To Read in 2017, so here's to actually accomplishing that small goal! I actually purposefully saved The Book Thief for the summer, because I always like to have a few fast-paced fiction books to read on vacation/weekend trips!

4. Beyond The Call by Lee Trimble and Jeremy Dronfield
My other fast-fiction book of choice! I've heard pretty good reviews for this based-on-a-true-story WWII novel, and reading the synopsis, it sounds like just the kind of thing I love. :)

5. The Abolition of Man by C. S. Lewis
Another I've been planning on reading for a long time, this is one book on this list that is non-negotiable. I'm only hoping I can finish it before school starts...*wipes brow* (but seriously reading challenges are my favorite type of challenges let's DO THIS.)

6. John Adams by David McCullough
I loved 1776 when I read it back in the fall, and ever since then I've been meaning to pick up David McCullough's other key historical work. I got it from the library a week or so ago, so that's a step in the right direction, right?

7. East Of Eden by John Steinbeck
I'm being so ambitious by throwing this one on the list, but hey: optimism, right? XD

8. Vicious (Villains #1) by V.E. Schwab 
I always throw in one "odd" book, in a style or an author that I literally know nothing about, just to stretch my literary horizons! Last year's was The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, written entirely in letter-form, and I ended up really enjoying that one. Science Fiction isn't a genre I've really read much at all of...I'll let you know how Vicious is!

See my past reading lists here

What are you hoping to read this summer??

9 comments

  1. I've been wanting to read The Abolition of Man as well! I hope you can get through it... I can completely understand not having any time for reading. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh sweet! If we both end up accomplishing that one, we'll have to compare notes. ;)

      Delete
  2. The Book Thief and Vicious are some of my favorites. Hope your summer reading goes well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to hear! I'm sure I'll like them then. :)

      Delete
  3. "In an eno..." HA. Yes, girl, yes! Get you an eno. I'll send you the link to the one I got.

    Also, this list is wonderful, and I want to read The Book Thief too. Also Chip and Joanna. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Wait till you read Friday's post...XD)

      Yes! Let's read it together!

      Delete
  4. I want to read The Book Theif too!!! And I'll have to check out the WWII book! Plus, you can't go wrong with Lewis. I want to read Mere Christianity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! We'll all have to trade notes when we've finished! :D

      You need to read Mere Christianity. It's an absolute must. <3

      Delete
  5. YAY THE BOOK THIEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really hope you get around to reading this. In fact, if I were you, I'd pick it up right now. I've read it three times now, and it never fails to make me cry. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.