Travel Diary: New York City (May 2017)

Friday, June 09, 2017

I've got something a little bit different to share today, friends! Originally, I was planning on doing a New York City travel guide...but being there for only three days didn't give me enough time to explore and feel like I have enough experience to really do justice to a travel guide. (Which is fine by me, really, because it just gives me more reason to go back multiple times!) So instead, I want to share my favorite moments from the trip, as well as a few of my big-girl camera shots that I haven't shared on Instagram!

Side note: the main reason this has been so long in coming is because I had around 300 original shots to edit (not counting multiples) from the trip. I still haven't finished all of them, but I couldn't wait anymore before sharing some. At first I was wary of carrying my big camera around the city (you definitely want to carry as little as possible, because theft is higher even than most large cities in America) --- but I'm so so glad I did. Some of these photos are up there with my favorites I've ever taken, and as any of my family members can tell you, I was shooting pretty much nonstop the whole 3 days: which is something I haven't done in ages and which I really, thoroughly enjoyed. It's good to flex those creative muscles every once in a while! ;) I didn't get the chance to take outfit pictures because the weather was bad, but again: next time (because there definitely will be a next time).


3 Days In Manhattan









Trinity Church, where Alexander + Eliza Hamilton are buried.

1. One World Trade Center
If you get the chance, the 9/11 Museum is a must see. It's definitely not a "fun" activity, but I felt that because this is a moment in history that happened within my lifetime, it was important to go and pay respect to the service men and women who knowingly sacrificed their lives without looking back, to save people they didn't even know. And equally to all the ordinary heroes, who became warriors for life without having to be asked. I would recommend blocking out a good few hours for this one, as there is so much to absorb.












2. Beme Offices (hi, Casey Neistat!)
This was a cool fan-girl moment for me. We took a bus trip around the city, and it affords the best views of all the key monuments - but it also means you get to drive past everything in between! I spotted the BEME Office (on the left in the above picture), and from there Casey Neistat*'s offices as well (upper right), on the way through midtown...and about jumped out of my seat. Of course I had to take a picture of my favorite YouTuber's spot! It was admittedly very weird to see it in real life after seeing it online all the time...but also pretty cool (no spotting of Casey himself though...darn ;).

















3. The Statue of Liberty
Hands down, the best part of the first day was taking the ferry out to the island to see the Statue of Liberty! The weather, which had been overcast most of the day, cleared up in the afternoon as we licked ice cream and gulped in the sea breeze. It was so amazing to see Manhattan Island growing closer from the deck of the ferry as we rode back in, too - I definitely was having a Brooklyn moment!! Too cool.







4. New York Public Library
As a self-professed Bibliophile, we couldn't stay in Manhattan 3 nights without taking some time in the NYPL. So naturally, when it was raining on the third day, we took it as a clue to go shopping (stay tuned for something special in that department!)...and to explore this giant book-lover's dream stop. As far as reading and studying goes, it's far too crowded of a tourist attraction to get any work done in, at least for me, but it was an architectural feast for the eyes! I never grow tired of ornate ceilings, effusive amounts of marble, and best of all: shelf after shelf, in room after gorgeous room, of books.





Inscription on doorframe reads "A good book is the precious lifeblood of a master spirit, inbalmed and treasured up on purpose to a life beyond life."


5. Carmine's on 44th Street (Theatre District)
If you want to get your fix of authentic, family-style Italian in New York, Carmine's is the place to go. Technically, it's a chain (I've also been to the one in D.C., equally amazing) but the quality of service, food, and overall atmosphere is unbeatable. As a southern-raised girl in a large family, walking the rainy streets of New York surrounded by cold, single, serious businesspeople or tourists for a while can be a bit isolating...it was like coming home to emerge into such a full, warm atmosphere, full of laughter and larger families and friends all just eating really amazing food and enjoying a night out together. (Also, their pasta is out-of-this-world and the bread is complimentary). As far as pricing goes, it's not bad at all (relative to the area).









There's so much more, but I'm sure I'll unravel it overtime. I'm still processing some things, but this was potentially the highlight of the year so far, and I can't wait to go visit again. 

Have you been to New York City? What was your favorite part(s)?

8 comments

  1. Ahhh! These are lovely, Carmel! I love that all the photos on your blog are so big. Looking at them is like being there. :) That said, I have never been to NYC, but it's near the top of my travel list. I can remember wanting to explore it since I was a wee five-year-old. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lydia! That's exactly what I'm going for! <3 I'm sure you'll love it when you do visit someday. :)

      Delete
  2. These are fantastic pictures Carmel! I love them :) What kind of camera and lens do you have?
    I'm glad you enjoyed the trip! I went to NYC last May for my graduation, and the shows were my highlight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Riley! ^.^ I use a Canon Rebel T3i, and for these shots, a 18-135mm zoom lens. :)
      Ahh yes, I wish we could have made time for a show! I have so many I want to see...

      Delete
  3. NYC is so beautiful, and you have captured it FABULOUSLY! I can't believe I was there just a month ago. Best. Trip. Ever.

    I found the NYPL disappointing, honestly. It was very ornate and architecturally amazing, but it was too crowded and not somewhere I would actually go to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Madeline!
      I know right? *all the heart eyes*

      I agree that it was very crowded, and I know I couldn't read there either. But architecturally, yeah, it's pretty stunning. :)

      Delete
  4. Even though I'm such a solidly country girl, NYC holds such a fascination for me - I love the thrill of the fast-paced lifestyle and how everyone carves out their own little world within the organized chaos. And dang, I LOVE your photos girlfriend! You capture the city so well *all the heart eyes*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT? I don't think I could live there long-term, but I'd definitely be down for a season or two...I mean the people-watching for 3 days alone was inspiration enough for me to fill most of a journal. Imagine what a whole summer would provide!

      Thank you. I was definitely feeling "in my element". <3

      Delete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.