You Can Take The Girl Out of Pennsylvania... | The Chic Sheet, v. 33

Saturday, June 17, 2017

I feel like it's been ages since I've done one of these! I've got quite a few fun discoveries of the week to share this Saturday, so grab a cup of coffee and come on in, friend!

This week had an unexpectedly rough start, with the discovery of a bulging disc in my back (I've been having nerve pains for about a month, but brushed it off repeatedly, until it got much worse over the weekend, and I had to get it checked out). So I took it much slower than I'd planned on, doing my gentle physical therapy exercises and trying not to eat the whole house (anti-inflammatory steroids and their side-effects. bah.) and being incredibly cautious at work.

But in the end, it's still been a good week, and I can't complain about having to take a little forced rest. Here's what I've been loving!

The Chic Sheet, v. 33

BEFORE GAME 5 OF THE STANLEY CUP FINAL, BECAUSE ROOTING FOR THE PENGUINS IN NASHVILLE WAS LIKE ROOTING FOR THE RED SOX IN NEW YORK THIS YEAR.


1. Shania Twain
Ever since I shared on my Instagram Story about a week ago that I had been listening to this song, I've been on a major Shania kick! So many good old songs I've fallen in love with all over again, or just cracked up listening to ("In My Car", anyone?) - talk about a throwback moment! Does anyone else still like old music better than a lot of current pop songs?

2. 5 Casual Ways To Spend Time In Norfolk, VA | Lipstick and Gelato
I love things post because not only did it refresh my desire to take a spontaneous drive out to VA and visit Rachel and her family, but it also made me look at my own growing hometown a little bit differently. Smalltown Southern USA is widely underrated. There is so much beauty tucked in places like this.

3. Buttermilk Biscuits
A couple of months back, for my littlest sister's birthday, we had lunch at Kitchen Notes at the Omni hotel - and of course, the phenom of the day was the epic buttermilk biscuit situation. I'm telling you, you do not know a buttermilk biscuit until you have had one of these. Of course, I came home and wanted to recreate it, but it's taken until just this week to find a recipe that I think might come close. That's not to say I've been practicing biscuits every weekend in between, of course, but rather that the two times I have tried between now and then have been...less satisfactory. I finally found a recipe for skillet biscuits, however, and I cannot wait to try them out this weekend. They look amazing: crispy with butter on the bottom, flaky and pillowy inside...oh man.

4. Penguins Winning The Stanley Cup
Of course, I couldn't not talk about this! I don't talk about sports a ton on here, and but after baseball, hockey is definitely my favorite sport. And when your team wins the Stanley Cup (two years in a row) it's kind of a big deal. Especially if you live in the opposing team's city (see post title). XD

5. J Crew Boater Hat
I think the only summer item I miss every year is a good, cute boater hat - I just can't seem to find one that fits my head and looks nice, not dorky! I also would love if I could find one that will pack well, because usually it's traveling that I want a cute hat, but if I can't put it in my suitcase...well, it'll probably stay behind. This one from J. Crew definitely caught my eye, though! It's definitely expensive, but I really like that it's packable. This Nordstrom one is super cute too! 

Any recommendations, friends?

Have a wonderful weekend, be careful, and for goodness' sake if you know the secret to perfect buttermilk biscuits, let me know.
Cheers, y'all.

5 comments

  1. Have you heard The Maine's cover of You're Still the One? I love it so much more than the Shania Twain version!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, back problems are hard. I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You durn tootin' better get your little butt over here to VA and visit me and I'll take you through Norfolk and you'll fall in love. Small-town South-Eastern America is definitely underrated.

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.