Mint Iced Coffee // A Friday Cheers

Friday, August 04, 2017


Well. I had a different post planned for today, but when I posted pictures of my mint iced coffee on Instagram stories this afternoon, and got at least 5 different requests for a recipe shortly afterward, I figured that was good enough reason to boot the scheduled post to another day! Haha. But genuinely, this is such a simple little drink, the perfect sweet treat for a Friday afternoon in the summer. It's simple, it's sweet, and it's basically impossible to mess up. (I figure, for someone who talks about coffee so much, I ought to at least show you some fun ways to drink it, right?) 

Today, I'm drinking a sweet coffee concoction in celebrating finishing up one of two jobs this week, and having the first whole, real, work-less weekend I've had (save 1 week vacation in May) since January. My plans? To do absolutely n o t h i n g . Sometimes you just need that, ya know?  :D

Mint Iced Coffee
--Serves 2--
Original idea from somewhere on Pinterest, a couple of years ago. 
Tweaked and pinched to my own peculiar tastebuds. 

INGREDIENTS
-Chilled, or cool coffee. (Whenever I ever have leftover in the pot in the morning, I keep it in a Mason jar in the fridge for my afternoon iced coffee cravings - works like a charm!)
-A handful of fresh mint, chopped very roughly, plus a sprig for garnish (nothing beats fresh-from-the-garden, but most grocery stores should carry a fresh supply if you don't have access to that luxury).
-1 tablespoon of raw sugar
-1/4 cup of water
-1/4 teaspoon of pure vanilla / vanilla extract
-4 tablespoons of unsweetened almond milk, or creamer of your choice (coconut is divine!)
-Ice

DIRECTIONS
-Heat sugar, mint, vanilla and water in a saucepan on high heat, until it reaches a low boil / is full of hundreds of tiny bubbles, creating a simple syrup. (I apologize, I can't seem to remember the proper scientific term for this stage in the sugaring process. XD)
-While your syrup boils, fill your glasses with ice cubes, and 2 tablespoons of milk in each.
-Quickly (i.e. before your syrup congeals), evenly split the syrup into the two glasses.
-Top with cold coffee, filling the glass, and stirring to combine.
-Garnish with a sprig of mint leaves.
-Best enjoyed with sunglasses on your head and a book in your hand, outside on a Friday afternoon. A carefree attitude is an absolute must. 

Let me know if you try it, and what you think! And happy Friday, my dear friends. I hope you're making the most of these final summer days - I know I'm trying to. 💙
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

3 comments

  1. hi carmel. happy to visit your blog for the first time and followed you. Thank you for the mint ice coffe recipe. I'm so in love with coffee! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't even drink coffee, and I really want to try this!

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.